Monty Roberts books- suitable for 14yrs old?

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
Someone who loans one of my horses was asking about NH methods. I haven't read a Monty book for a while but was thinking, would one be suitable for her to read? I can't remember there being any adult content and she is very mature.

If she's mature then why not, I was reading Dick Francis at 10 and am pretty sure Monty's books aren't like that :giggle:

Agree with the Mark Rashid suggestion too, his books are indeed a great read!

Either of the above - though I would plump for a "story" one - where you learn the history of the person like mark rashid growing up as they are more readable when you don't have your own :)

Thanks :) think I will start by lending her Monty- the man who listens to horses then a Mark Rashid one.

The only possible problem with that is if she decided to do join-up. It sounds very simple in the book. And it also sounds as though you HAVE to do it. But it is far more of an art (imho) than that book suggests, and can be harmful to some horses, and done some ways. 'Think Like Your Horse' by Michael Peace is a very accessible book for younger readers. And I'd also echo all the other Mark Rashid recommendations!

BTW my favourite book at 14 was probably Riders! Plenty of adult content. I'm sure she has seen and heard it all by 14! I'd be more concerned that she was able to understand the book, and apply the concepts to her own situation.
:)

BTW my favourite book at 14 was probably Riders! Plenty of adult content. I'm sure she has seen and heard it all by 14! I'd be more concerned that she was able to understand the book, and apply the concepts to her own situation.
:)

Yes I think that was what I was aiming at. She wouldn't try join up - she knows I want a round pen but the ground is too shitty and wet here to do anything in an enclosed area.

I enjoyed shyboy by monty when i was 12-13 and its what got me doing parelli at 14. Also enjoyes the mark rashid ones and tao of equus

I still haven't read Shyboy or Tao of Equus, even though both are on my shelf! I must get into reading again then pass them onto L.

newrider.com