MissPiggie has A Major Biting Problem

WittleHorseGrl

Jun 18, 2004
www.matmice.com
My goodness...
I can't take this. Exspecialy seince my halter show is comming up soon. My pony is biting me when I walk and trot her. I bop her in the mouth but that isn't helping much. I don't know what to do. Please help.

Before I used to ride a pony who would nip me when ever I was grooming him. I asked on here and got a few good ideas. Ill get the link for it.

Try holding a brush up when she goes to bite, so she ends up with a mouthful of bristles. Of course, that doesn't help when you're leading her ... I guess just slap her on the neck or shoulder whenever she does it and say "quit" in a mean growly voice. I know someone who tried biting back, but I'm not sure how much success they had :|

this might sound a little mean, but when it comes to biting i think its John Lyons that says to use the 'three second rule' the second a horse bites "smack and give a harsh NOO" for the three seconds after the bite then stop. after the three seconds the horse will forget what its being punished for, you have to repriment quickly!

another sugguestion, smaking on the mouth/nose could make your pony headshy. I would give the smack on the chest or neck. my instructer absolutly will NOT tolerate a horse that bits in her barn. if a horse bites she will use the words "make him wish he wasn't born for those three seconds" and the horse wont bite again. she has so many little kids she cant afford to have a bitter in the barn.

newrider.com