Mis-diagnosed as mites?!?!

Madaz_Maddy

Mar 15, 2008
Read an article in Horse and Rider magazine.....

A girl bought a cob and when vetted was diagnosed as having mites. She tried various mite treatments to no avail. Eventually they took skin scrappings and discovered no mites!!

The cob had Mallenders(on front legs) Sallenders(on hind)

Just thought id mention it incase u have been told ** cob has mites but u cant treat it!! Copied some bits of net....

MALLENDERS AND SALLENDERS
Are forms of psoriasis (scaly itch), which see. They are situated on the flexures of the knee and hock, that is, mallenders appear on the back of the knee, sallenders on the front of the hock. At first they are only scurfy patches, but exhibiting considerable irritability. If neg*lected, they degenerate into troublesome sores, with foul discharges.

Remedy.—Soft soap and water, mild oils and bran poultices remove scales. Boro-glycerine or zinc oxide oint*ment. Mercuric nitrate or iodine ointments for thicken*ing and infiltration. Tar oils for chronic cases. Half a dose of physic ;salines; laxative diet. Iron tonics and arsenic for feeble.

hey

I considered this but sadly my mare had mites present in scraping...BACK to the DRAWING board..... they are a NIGHTMARE

I considered this but sadly my mare had mites present in scraping...BACK to the DRAWING board..... they are a NIGHTMARE

I have to say spent a fortune on nearly every remedy on the market... eventually pig oil and sulphur works a treat.... just keep trying remedies, all horses are different and something will work!!

oh my god....my mare has white scabby bits (never any pink, hurting skin, or blood) on the backs of her front legs. with her back legs. she stamps now and again but i use that itch wash tuff from global herbs

maybe its what your saying??

Apparently if you add aloe vera to their feed it helps with mallenders/sallenders!!

And dont wash to ofetn as it makes it worse.

Basically equine eczema, and pig oil/sulphur apparently can be used for humna eczema so im hoping either way it'll work... seems to be anyway!!

A friend had something similar to this, her horse was diagnosed with mud fever and after nearly a year it turned out to be a skin condition (can't remember what though). It's worrying that it can go on for so long and it's not picked up on

newrider.com