Mini Tango update

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Tango still trips. Maybe not as much as he used to OR it could be that I now don't count the tiny ones as am more used to it? However, I've been doing a lot of research into the benefits of taking such a horse barefoot, and the evidence suggests its at least worth a go. It's no quick fix and even though it may appear cheaper at first glance, with the amount I've spent on supplements and the specific low starch, low sugar feeds recommended to give his feet the best start - it's not!

Trimmer came today to remove shoes. He was a lovely Spanish man who came recommended by different people and really appears to know his stuff. He decided to just take his back shoes off today and will be back in 10 days to remove the fronts (when his back feet will hopefully be a bit more comfortable). So little and often riding for the next 10 days. He says that he is landing pretty flat - so not quite as bad as toe first but certainly not the ideal heel first.

I do wonder though if the steroids he had in his hock are starting to wear off though as he's being a bit more of a fidget when picking up his back feet again. But until he's happy trotting up and down the road (have been told his feet will be too soft straight away to do this) I won't be able to look into this.

In other news, he is still being horribly spooky. My RI came to ride him on yesterday and she'd not been for the previous 2 weeks due to fallin goff a racehorse. Her words on her return? "Spooky or what?!" :yellowcarded: So it's not just me then!

It is often a reaction I get that being barefoot is a cheap and easy option. But barefeet need looking after. As you say with supplements depending on the foot you have to begin with and terrain.
Diet is simple for me as pony has only ever had high fibre anyway.

If you have noticed a change with back feet he will be getting sensation now. So the spring grass will be coming through. If you have wormed that can cause them to be footy.

However if backs come off today when you pick out the feet he will be transfering weight onto feet that haven't had the chance to breathe as I call it. He needs to adjust to feel and the fact his feet will now be warmer.

You may need boots for roadwork initially. Be prepared for the feet to alter in shape. Your guy sounds a dish. Does he travel.

Last edited:
If he is being silly spooky and it is spring grass spooky, magnesium may help him. But get a good one, a chelated one, rather than a cheap mag ox because it will hit him quicker.

Tobes on our last ride out up hill and down dale through the woods DIDN'T TRIP ONCE! Not that he has anything wrong with him, but he was so on the forehand it was unbelievable. I have never known a horse like it. Even the ex racehorses I had who had never done a days schooling in their life were balanced.

So maybe continue with getting him back on his hocks. Bute could help - he isn't a youngster, so bute could only help - apologies if he is already on it.

HOw long is it since he had the steroid injections? They usually last a while. I like the sound of the nice Spanish trimmer too!lol (just being daft!!). Hope the barefoot thing works for you. I love not having shoes on ours, makes life easier when it is muddy, no more pulled and lost shoes.......

I shall be following this with interest LWTB - as you know, Rocky improved when he went barefoot for winter..

Another vote for the grass coming through making him spooky

Thanks NewForest. Yes he does travel - he prefers a lorry but has been in a trailer too.

SJP - yes I have bought magnesium and he had his first dose today! I got a 'heavy' Mag ox - is that ok? Not sure what chelated means?! :redface: i got it from Pro Earth on Ebay??

My RI took him out today for the first time on the grass and he managed a very short stretch (about 10 metres) over stones and then did a 40 minute hack on grass, so very pleased. Apparently he did a flying change in canter as he spooked at something :yellowcarded: He did trip lots in walk apparently but he didn't have the bungee that he usually wears on today and my RI thought it was more because of that and not concentrating than anything else.

He has been on bute for 2 weeks at a time, on 2 occasions before now, but it's never seemed to make a difference to him sadly.

Trewsers - he had the steroid injection in November but I was told he may need them every few weeks, few months, yearly or never again!!

newrider.com