Meet Maggie - updated!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
...our new rescue dog.

We wanted a dog to enjoy life with Corky, who is not quite 2 and can get a bit tiresome for our two old ladies. I wanted a pup but Steve prevailed upon me to accept a rescue because it is the right thing to do.

Maggie1.jpg

Maggie is from Ireland. She is about 1, and you can see she is a Springer/Border Collie cross. Those eyebrows! She is collie like in her demeanour and quite obsessive about being close to her people, and the pack dynamic is all over the place - poor little Corky is as shocked and distressed as any 2 year old when a new baby comes into the house.

The good: she is obedient, eager to please and good natured. She responds very well to quietness and being left alone (I reached my phone under the table to take this picture), She would love to be playful with Corky: they've had a couple of fun games together and we hope that they will be good playmates soon. She is quiet in the car and was quiet as a mouse overnight. I took her to the vet yesterday and she was confident and brave.

The not so good: She's a bit uncertain about where to wee, but that's understandable. I am sure she will get the picture soon.

She is mouthy and will use her teeth to indicate affection. We can sort that, as she is very very responsive to pleasure or displeasure from her handler.

Also she would like to be dominant, I think. Mollie, our senior dog, dislikes her and is determined to keep her in her place. Fair enough, but this morning Maggie nipped Mollie's bum (a very collie nip) - she looked astonished when Mollie turned round and let fly with a series of very sharp air bites - you know, the sort that look bad but don't actually make contact. I think Mollie won that round but I expect this will become a bit of a saga.

Maggie has also put her teeth into Corky a couple of times in play - I wonder if this is a collie trait. Poor little Corky is so soft and such a gent, he just looks worried and upset.

So lots of change, which dogs typically don't enjoy, but Maggie is a lovely dog and I am glad to have homed her. She smells awful at the moment - our vet said, "the kennel smell" - but that will soon change. The adoption agency were utterly delighted for her to be homed by an adult couple with 3 slim healthy spaniels.

Watch this space. Dog agility maybe?

Those eyes! Sounds like they will all settle down, it will just take a bit of time for them all to get used to each other.

I think it could well be a collie trait, I've always found them quite mouthy as well. My friend has collie which also like to heard you up as you go to leave :p

Think she'd love dog agility ;)

Oh a rescue how lovely.

it takes a while for them to settle down in a new home let alone with a new pack.

arya my mastiff received a few air snaps from Oscar my youngest springer at first. in fact she still gets one every so often.

Oscar runs the pack.

Oh bless !! how adorable. What a lucky girl she is to find you guys :)

Gosh, four dogs! She is sweet and she does look like a Maggie. I hope she settles in soon and her and Corky become playmates. We were worried about introducing a puppy to our older dog, who is rather 'reactive', put politely, and not at all keen on other dogs. As it happens they are now fine together, and it's done Paddy (the older one) the world of good - he'd put on weight since losing a leg and being unable to go for walks, but now he plays with the puppy, has lost weight and got stronger on his remaining front leg.

She belonged to a family in Ireland. On about her first birthday they put an ad on Irish Gumtree "free to good home" and the rescue took her. So not as traumatic as some.

Reactions: newforest
What a cute little face she has!! A very lucky little lady to get such a happy ending. :) x

Things are going pretty well. The house is calm except when Maggie and Corky are playing, which is pretty much any time that they are not sleeping! Or if Maggie is trying to suck up to Mollie, which just gets her another air snap :confused:.

She was very rough and aggressive to a smaller dog she met out, but was sweet and cheerful with a fat Lab she met today, so we are just going to be careful with strange dogs for now. She is running off the lead and is so good about coming back - in fact it's funny, when you call back a spaniel it'll get about 3/4 of the way there (assuming it comes at all) and then get distracted and go off to do something else. Maggie comes back like a waggly arrow and even if Corky tries to get her to play she won't until she has returned to the person who called her. Collie OCD!

newrider.com