Medic Please, Injured Big Toe and a Public Apology to Flipo

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Serves me right really. I read on here about someone wanting steel toe cap boots around their clydie (was it Domane?!) and I realised that in two years I've only been stood on once. (and that was a drama - think galloping loose horse down a busy A class road). Yesterday I was giving him a scratch and he shuffled towards me when I found the right spot just at his ear. His hoof made contact with my wellied foot and I instinctively curled my toes away in the boot and lent against his leg. Flipo obviously realised he'd put his hoof down on something which wasn't grass and luckily didn't put his full weight on me otherwise I'd be a goner - he also moved off quite quickly.
I was a tad smug thinking, for a change, what a smart horse not hurting me. :wink:

Today, no such luck. I was grooming on his near side and the next thing I knew, he'd jumped on my foot, spooking at something. I wanted to shoot him, that flamin hurt and it nearly put paid to my plans for our solo mini hack -I'm already paranoid about him being in pain after our saddle fiasco (ill fitting) and was worrying that he was still in pain or remembering pain. His violent reaction could have been me hitting a sore spot - but then that wouldn't explain him jumping towards me? :unsure: Maybe he's just being all hyper and silly again. Oh gawd, see this is the sort of worrying I do! If he's in that sort of mood then it'll be the boring school for us tonight.:sleep: I got back to brushing him after giving him a piece of my mind and eventually went back round to get my hoof pick.
Then it all became clear. My grooming kit was lying on the ground, contents tipped all over the place. He'd jumped when it had fallen over, silly child. Solo mini hack back on and completed without incident!
I've just got home, pulled my boot off and there's blood on my sock. Inspecting the damage, I have a slightly black toe with nail looking suspicially damaged half way down. Nice work Flipo. I forgive you although really wish you'd grow out of this spooking soon.

Sorry, pointless story really, but I'm all alone and have no one to share with, so thought I'd bug you guys!

OW!

owowowowowowowowowow

I've been there. 9 months ago. It has just grown out!

I don't envy you, and you were very brave to hack afterwards.

OW!

owowow... *sympathy*

Ouch!!!

I feel your pain...almost. Harveys fieldmate, a 15.3hh, built like a tank, gypsy cob spooked at the rain (yes! The bloody rain!) all 4 feet came off the ground and he literally came down on top if me. I'm lucky my friend was leading my wonderfully bombproof Harvey on the other side of me, or he would have probably gone right over me and my foot could have been a hand or head! I chucked him into his field and thought I'd broken it, then had the wonderful 10 minute walk down the lane having to jump the puddles! Ha ha! I peeled my sock off when I got home to find a whole lot of blood, bruising and swelling.

I recommend an ice pack ASAP...and a beer....oh, and chocolate helps too, honest, it does!

Ouch!

I know a lit of people don't like marauding kids on yards, I'm one of them, but it's made Joy and Littles much less easy to spook on the yard.

Hope you don't lose your toenail xxx

See - where else would i get sympathy from those who've had the same happen, encouragement to stuff my face and drink myself silly. Love it! I would show you photos but it's not going to be as dramatic as kis vihars injury - hehe are you offering to show us them?

OOh..... ouchie..... I feel your pain! I got troddedd on twice by Jack, on EACH foot within a week :banghead: (and I'm still looking for the safety boots, btw) Cherry broke my toe standing on my foot the day before she went on loan... I looked on it as a "something to remember me by...." gesture :giggle:

Eeeeeeeeeewwww ouch! Think most of us have had a toe-flattening experience with horses then, eh? :cry:

I don't own any myself but I have looked at steel toe-capped jodhpur boots on www.equestrianclearance.com if that's any use to anyone?

FM, hope your toe feels better soon... definitely a bloody good reason for copious amounts of alcohol and loads of choccy!
xx

I feel your pain FM. Roxy did something similar a couple of years back while standing for the farrier, put up a struggle while he had a front foot up & she hopped around and onto my welly clad foot, ground it in a bit, knocked me over and then sauntered off....

Cue much embarrassment from me, took my welly off to find a blood saturated sock and my toe nail hanging on at the sides - the root having popped out at the base of the nail. *Blurgh*

Went to A&E to have an x-ray (had huge lump on my foot) & luckily foot not broken, toe cleaned & bandaged. Had to wear sandals for a few weeks. Toe nail came off a couple of weeks later in the bath *blurgh* and then grew back - but grew back ingrown so had to go to my GP to have the side of the nail cut off *blurgh* which meant that the new growth after that resulted in it eventually hinging over to one side & came off again! *Blurgh*

Nail is now almost fully grown & so far no problems.... the only part that hurt was when the horse stood on me & the GP injected the anesthesia needle into my toe knuckle (sadistic b****rd). Stupid bloody toe nails, who needs them anyway....

I too will now only wear steel toe caps around Roxy! Lesson definitely learned first time!

ARGH!!! Toe squishing is soooooo painful!!!!!

You are well due a whole loada choccie!!! :)

Good on you for carrying on with your hack though!!!!

I know how you feel now, Sweep stood on my finger when i was picking her hooves out today! :redface:
I havent had my feet stomped on lately, although, at the start of the week i was giving Eva a hug and she stomped her foot millimetres away from my toes. :unsure:

Last edited:
newrider.com