Measuring saddles

clashnoir

May 19, 2010
Nr Edinburgh, Borders
Am I right in thinking its from the rivet at the side of the pommel to the middle of the cantle?

If so I have bought a much larger saddle than expected.

I have emailed Thorowgood to enquire what they have for the serial number in the mean time.

I was taught to measure from the rivet at the side in a diagonal line across the saddle. The would mean it lands 3/4 long the cantle

Does this make sense? Am finding it hard to explain!!

I am still getting an inch bigger than what I bought it as.
It just looks big too.
Hopefully Thorowgood will come back with the size from its serial number.
BALLS! Have another saddle to attempt to sell by the looks of it now!

That was quick - a reply from Thorowgood already.
They don't keep record this long apparently.
Its in beautiful condition and looks barely used.
Will need a refund or have to sell it.

Its a Thorowgood Griffin GP
Its in stunning nick and hasn't seen much action but I'm getting an 18" measure. Max I need is 17" due to back length.
Do I measure from the front of the tack on the pommel or the back of it?
And is it to the middle of the cantle?

What happened with your saddle measurement?

Then it is most definitely 'item not as described'!

What's the betting they measured from pommel to cantle in a straight line? :rolleyes:

This ^ I bet thats what they've done too

So, my way of measuring is incorrect? Blimey - it was a saddler that showed me that way too ..... Enough said ....

Measuring the seat that way is just a general guide to saddle length, saddle makers have been known to move the head nails back or forward to alter the size!!!
It is all hit and miss measuring saddles as you need to look at the length of the panels, a lot of saddles will have the panels extending past the cantle so your 17" saddle for instance in this case will be alot longer on your horse..
This is why i always look at the shoulder and last rib of the horse when fitting a saddle.
Just as bad are the saddles where the panels cut back under the cantle/tree this cause all sorts of pressure on the horses back!!!

There's even a guide on eBay for sellers on how to measure their saddle!

Deffo 'not as described' ;)

Actually....depending on what you paid for it, there might be quite a profit to be made on it. We had a hell of a time getting 18" or 18.5" second hand TGs. :(

I got it at a reasonable price and just need to sell asap so i can get one to fit her.

newrider.com