*Me and Ben ran over a chicken!!!!!

x.fat-pony.x

Sep 9, 2006
Ahem. :eek:
I've been using a hell of a lot of embarrased faces recently on NR.

At the farm there are free range chickens, and they are let out of their usual field to roam around.
Obviously, me not knowing the yard very well was unaware of this and went into the menage with Ben.
Am trying to get used to his canter as it's very long and majestic compared to Gem's, so was completely focused on him. I noticed a chicken on one of the banks, but thought nothing of it, a chicken wouldn't try a suicide attempt and actually enter the menage - would it?
Turns out it did. :eek:
A scream of 'CHHHHIIIIICCCCKKKKKKEEEEEENNNNNNNN!' and Ben mini rearing resulted in a squashed bird.
:eek:
Owners were fine about it, thankfully.

Tomorrow, I am going on chicken patrol :cool:

x

ooops!! Did the chicken end up in a pie??

I ran over YO's dog last yr whilst cantering in the school, thankfully quick thinkin jez jumped him, but when I was a kid galloping across a field with a mate, a sheep just ran right infront of her horse and it stood on it, squashed the sheep flat! It did get up and run off tho.... :eek:

Oops! At leat the YO's didn't mind!
I ran over the YO's dog once. It ran staright under my old pony when we were riding. Thankfully my pony realised what was going on and jumped him, but did slightly catch him with his back legs! Dog was fine though!
He is a completely crazy dog! Just stands in the middle of the school and will not move! We have to go round him, because he won't move out of the way, even if you are riding staright at him and get within an inch of him before you swerve!

ooops!! Did the chicken end up in a pie??

I ran over YO's dog last yr whilst cantering in the school, thankfully quick thinkin jez jumped him, but when I was a kid galloping across a field with a mate, a sheep just ran right infront of her horse and it stood on it, squashed the sheep flat! It did get up and run off tho.... :eek:

You know how everyone always puts LOL at thigns that are amusing, wel for once, it feels justified, I well and truely did just laugh at the computer screen, the image of that sheep is fabulous

OMG, i would still be screaming if that was me, lol:p.

I have never killed an animal when on a horse, but I have killed about 10 mice and rats while just walking around the yard :eek:, they seem to just run under my feet, i hate it and stand there screaming for ages, i am such a wuss:eek:.

YO just text me:

'Hi ******, just wanted to say thanks for the chicken casserole!'

Will be cringing at yard tomorrow, already had a couple of 'clucks' of fellow liveries!

:D:eek:

Oh Dear, poor chuck:eek:

However, the upside is that everyone at your yard seems to have a sense of humour, how refreshing compared to your old place:D

:eek: oh no! Sad for the chicken but i can imagine it's going to keep the other liveries entertained for a while :D!

Worst I've seen is when my friend killed a rat in her feedroom with a spade (eeeuuww) and when one rather large-hooved horse randomly shifted her foot and squished two mice that were gorging on her spilt dinner

Me & Red did that to a pheasant, we go one step further ;) HAHA. It was dead scary though, I wont put the details I dont think NR would be very thankful!

We're also good at herding the mischevious lambs! :D

Me n Smartie squashed a phesant thing whilst in gallop it satyed in the grass jumped out when we were nearly on top of it ran the wrong way n got squished :eek:

we had a pair of pigmee goats a couple of years ago called burty and gurty, they belonged to this man and wife that kept their horse on our yard, any way these goats would eat anyhting including my bridle:mad:, any one girl in particular on the yard accidently ran gurty over in her landrover one day - a landrover you know how heavy and big they are , she said gurty just came out of no where and then she felt a bump bump - any way goat got up ran off and is still alive now - goats are indestructable, and very distructive;)

I don't think chooks are very bright, and loose ones don't go well with horses. I worked at the Natural Animal Centre for 6 months... where dogs, cats, horses, pigs, and chickens as were there then were supposed to live in harmony. B*llsh*t LOL! Two chickens were squashed by horses while I was there, one had it's head crushed into a shavings base, and lived to tell the tale (but walked a bit funny ever after) and another got stomped on good and proper when a horse was on the yard, but also lived to cluck the tale to it's mates. :D:D Some of us wanted to wring the neck of one, as the bosses were away, and have a nice chicken dinner, but the veggies won and off it went to the vet in a cat basket!
(The pigs used to get kicked to wotsit as well, as they used to try to nick the feeds from the visiting horses in the pens).

me and twig often run over chickens when the wander into the arena...they're so stupid.

We haven't managed to kill one yet though, they tend to just squawk, ruffle their feathers and wander off to get in someone else's way

my OH was mowing the lawn at our old yard, and ran over a rather large rat....I'm not sure if the rat was deceased prior to the mower, or if it was just hiding in the grass....yuck.

Oh I'm sure this is really hilarious to you but not for me. WOULD YOU LAGH IF THIS WAS A DOG OR A CAT?

You all wouldn't be laughing so much if it was an animal you keep as a pet.

I appreciate accidents do happen but I shudder at the thought of losing one of my girls.

Posting about animals dying in accidents for a laugh is in very poor taste :mad:

I do feel sorry for the op. I haven't had anything like that happen to me yet thank good or I'd be a mess but I once clipped a magpie when driving and was devasted.

Oh I'm sure this is really hilarious to you but not for me. WOULD YOU LAGH IF THIS WAS A DOG OR A CAT?

You all wouldn't be laughing so much if it was an animal you keep as a pet.

I appreciate accidents do happen but I shudder at the thought of losing one of my girls.

Posting about animals dying in accidents for a laugh is in very poor taste :mad:

I do feel sorry for the op. I haven't had anything like that happen to me yet thank good or I'd be a mess but I once clipped a magpie when driving and was devasted.

I have to agree. A chicken is still a life and I bet the bloody thing was petrified - I just hope it happened quickly and it didn't suffer!

I think you're safe to grin at my post if you want, both chickens lived to tell the tale.
Although they would have had safer lives if they hadn't been given quite so much freedom.

newrider.com