Maximum Effect

Daffy Dilly

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
Anybody used it? I haven't got the CD that tells me how as some cowbag borrowed it and never gave it back when I asked.

Basically if Daffy's clip isn't fully grown out (he's black/lightbrown/orange at the moment) I plan on dying him all one colour with this.

I know you mix it with a bit of shampoo, do you add water? Is vaseline sufficient to stop white markings getting stained? And how much do you need for one horse? TIA :)

Last edited:
I should imagine that it works like human hair dye, I use those shaders on Crystal to cover up the grey hairs in her mane! In which case, nix it with about two capfuls of shampoo, and the vaseline should work, but if possible a split plastic bag, or clingfilm, and a bit of vetwrap to hold it in place should do the trick! Good Luck with it hun!

Wow! I didn't know you could 'dye' horseys.

May have to die Byron Black to cover up the dirt, dirty grey beastie :D

Just kidding BTW - i love him even if he is a ridiculous colour...

yes well it cant be any more of a disaster then my first show of the season was.

I think it could, but not for the same reasons.

Pony is overweight (but not badly) and has been really lethagic recently. He's on quite a lot of oats but I haven't ridden since Wednesday due to the heat and a blistered ankle. Haven't even tried riding him in his new bit, haven't taken him to a show since August.

I don't know whether I'll have fireworks or a pony that wont move. :eek:

To make it worse, I have to bath on the friday as I have a wedding on the saturday!! :rolleyes:

Are you guys seriously telling me you can buy dye to dye your horse all over????

They'll end up looking like Ronald regan!

yes you can wally. Its more a color restorer then a proper dye. the maximum effects people make it for sunbleached coats
mex3.gif

Wally said:
Are you guys seriously telling me you can buy dye to dye your horse all over???

Yep, but I'm only doing patches and his mane if I actually do it. Otherwise I think I'll go goth for a few weeks.:rolleyes:

Vickie Lawrie is a top Aussie show rider, and I had a CD with her doing it to a pale chestnut. Horse had a flaxen mane and tail so she got that out of the way and darkened (marginally) the rest of the horse. It looked fantastic and the horse looked a lot better. The thing that is putting me off right now is the thought of it going wrong or getting it on his sock, as obviously can't modify his markings!

I did read it although I can't remember a lot of it, and I don't think he'll act like that, but I really don't know! He was really nappy at our last show, although I'm not standing for that again.

Daffy Dilly said:
Anybody used it? I haven't got the CD that tells me how as some cowbag borrowed it and never gave it back when I asked.

Haha! Katie, that cowbag would be me then wouldnt it! Mmmmm not a very good idea posting rude things about someone on a public forum is it - you'll always get found out!

I still have your CD and you can have it back whenever you like, in fact you could have had it back months and months ago except didn't you block or delete me from your MSN for some unknown reason?!

don't you think dyeing an animal is taking things a step too far....?:confused: :confused:

I can not see the improvement in the photos of the horse shown. In fact, the first photo looks better - more shiney and healthy looking.

I dye to cover scars, and i occasionaly do it to get rid of sun bleaching. harvey goes an absolutely awful colour when he bleaches! so he get some in his wash and he goes back to a nice rich chestnut colour. also clipped out black is not a nice colour a quick go with that stuff and it turns a nicer colour.

newrider.com