Masta rug- HELP!!!

PinkGlamourGurl

Wont you shine, shine on.
Dec 8, 2005
North East, UK
Hellooo. Got J the most lovely LW turnout today. Stood and argued with mam, she wanted to get 7ft, I wanted 6ft9.

Ended up with 7ft and its MASSIVE! So am taking it back tomorrow. Wondering whether to get 6ft6 or 6ft9. She has a 6ft9 falpro stable rug that fits well but I was wondering whether masta fittings are generous?

So, do you normally go a size down? Or stick to the regular size?

i find they are quite generous - they are quite wide around the neck so it you have a narrower horse they tend to sit slightly further back.:)

I have a Masta rug. I'd say the sizing is spot on.

I think its better to go for the larger size, unless you have a very lightweight horse, and the rug is likely to hang round the neck.

i measure the horse and buy the length they come out as. i found my masta lw shrunk in the wash though :(

ETA: i have recently bought a shires typhoon which fits snugly round the neck but they can still eat freely. it is very adjustable at the front too :)

Last edited:
If she is slight built you will probably fnd they come up quite generous as they are quite big around the neck. Personally they wouldnt be my choice of make for a slighter built horse - horseware have a much smaller neck.

I use Masta rugs on my 3/4 tb gelding, they're great! He has a full wardrobe of Check Tech tri-vent ones, this is the first year in six years of owning him that his shoulders haven't been rubbed, even slightly.

I bought J a bargain lightweight masta thats a 7'0 and fitted him ok but was much better with a chest expander and covers his bum up lovely ;) . The one I bought is quite fitted though and like darted round his bum i can only find the one pic of him in it and he looks cute so here he is.
this adds nothing to the thread apart from a pretty horsey!

DSC00328-1.jpg

I also bought him a 7'3 masta waffle weave which is really big (but a rubbish pic!) so i spose im saying yes, they do come up big!

DSC00340.jpg

I have quite a few Masta rugs for my horse. She's 6'9" in rugs and the Masta's fit her perfectly. Though she is a MW so on a LW like J the fitting may be a little more generous.

I'd say that although Masta are about standard in terms of length, they are generous in terms of depth. I have a 'well-built';) 17.2hh gelding and I've found that their rugs fit him perfectly unlike other 7' rugs which look like crop tops on him:D Personally, if I had a finely built horse, I'd avoid a Masta rug although they are life-saving for those of us with chunky beasts:D

newrider.com