Masta fly rug

raggydoll

Hattie & Bimble
May 16, 2005
North Lincolnshire
I have just tried 3 fly rugs on Hattie, the masta was the best fit so thats one one ive bought. It appears to fit her well but shen she walks the front sort of flaps fold back behind the buckles :confused: it is a little bit tight on the shoulders but not restricting her, i was thinking of putting some velcro along the edge to hold it together a bit like the masta turn out has - anyone else tried that or have that trouble.

Also, the belly flap part are you meant to tuck it in underneath the rug or over the top of it if you see what i mean?? I cant find a rug where that part comes far enough forward to cover the girth area which is currently covered in lumps :( so i am spraying that as much as possible - is there anything else i can do to protect that area??

Ive never know a horse be so badly affected by flys like this - she has hundreds of bumps now, mainly on her belly with others scattered on her back neck and shoulders :(

Max's turnout rug does the foldy backy thing. I used one of those chest expander add ins. and this has stopped it. He has massive shoulders, that causes the problems :)

I think the belly flap should go over the sides of the rug , that makes more sense to me but who knows ? :) could you make a bit that goes between her front legs and stich it to the belly cover bit with a clip to the lower chest buckle?

Don't srtess too much over the bites hun, Tom gets the same thing. Leovet Boi skin oil is good for the bites as well.

Hxx

I have a masta fly sheet and have used it for a number of years. I don't get any problems with the front 'flapping'. I haven't used the belly flap either, but think it goes outside the main rug.

Thanks guys, i wondered about trying a chest expander - will give that a go and good idea about adapting the belly flap, will put my thinking cap on for that and come up with a nifty design!

newrider.com