Market Research - bedding manufacturers please!

Palomino Mare

Jan 22, 2007
Due to increasing bedding prices YO has given us the OK to start using whatever bedding we want.

I want to get a list of all the different kinds of bedding and the best prices for myself and some of the other liveries so i would be really appreciative if we can get a good list going:)#

oh and if you can give prices/links for the product that would be great too

many thanks - hopefully this thread may help some others who i know are also struggling with bedding.

I am researching this myself - just in case we have to go diy next year when we move (because full livery at my No.1 choice there would be like £690 a month :eek::eek::eek:, so thinking of doing diy at the same yard).

£5-£6 per bale

-Miscanthus Horse Bedding (Elephant Grass)

£6-£7 per bale

-easibed
-Megazorb
-Nedz Bed

Others (don't know the price):
Aquamax, Woody

I am tempted by RedBed... huge initial cost though cheaper in the long run.

This year I bought Nedz bedz pro (the one you deep litter) got a pallet of 30 bales for £170 so about £5.60 a bale from Armstrong Richardson. Only using about a bale a week so should get me through winter and possibly longer :)

I'm using sawdust with rubber matting - £4 a bale:D. You're welcome to pop over and see it in action if you want. I have matting over the whole floor and sawdust over half of it to a depth of 3 or 4 inches so it soaks up all the wet. Its great and a doddle to muck out. I'm using a bale a week for Arnie (more for Bianco but she's a clatty wee madam).

I wasnt too sure at the start but shavings had got so dear. Have to say, the sawdust is much much easier to deal with so I am now officially converted.

skippys mum where do you get your sawdust for £4 a bale?? :eek:
Im using fully rubber matted stable with a bale of shavings down providing banks and then just a sprinkle of shavings actually down on the floor but theyre not as absorbent as sawdust especially when my lovely lady pees so much!! :rolleyes:

i have just moved yards and can now get my own bedding, i have one on sundown red at 5.20 a bale, and one on sundown yellow at 4.90,

I'm using shredded paper at the moment=free

As soon as I'm in a better financial situation in a month or so I will mix it with something to make it a bit more absorbant.

those are good prices on the sundowns, highamreb - lucky you!! :D

When we first moved i used sundown red for dyls and bliss citronella for J. they both need at least a bag topping up each week. i did a full muck out of the sundown daily and just skipped out the bliss and dug the wet out at weekends.

i like them both. the bliss was nice and solid, but as time went on did start to look a bit yucky and got heavier to muck out.

i know use a combination of straw and sundown - a bag of sundown a fortnight between two, and a bale of straw each a week. skipped out in the week (can take me as little as 15 mins to get both skipped, swept and tidy) and wet out at weekends.

Tried easibed but it didn't work very well with the matting.

Now use Megazorb. I buy in bulk so get it for £5.11 a bale delivered for a pallet of 60.
Comes from Armstrong Richardson at Stokesley in N Yorks. (Phone wholesale, not the shop!) My worst usage was when they were in 24/7 due to weather and I went through 2 bags in a week for Tavia, 1 bag a week each for Peri and Belle. On their usual of out by day/in at night its half of that.

newrider.com