Mark Rashid Clinic Write-up

Thyme & Me

Nov 23, 2011
I was worried that his real life clinics would not live up to the books.... but he was fantastic. 8 horses came into the arena and 8 totally different horses walked out. Brief synopsis of the first one... I'll add more on the other horses later.

Horse 1

Horse frantic in canter, rider and horse both very tense as horse tanked off. Changed to calm, relaxed horse popping up and down through the gaits softly. How? Seemed to be around changing the rider's perception of the horse. She assumed horse liked cantering and would therefore choose to take off all the time. So she would be thinking about canter whenever they trotted which made the horse think about canter, which made him go faster or break gait, which made her think about fast/uncontrolled canter so that's what the horse gave her! Mark said horse did NOT like cantering and was as stressed and miserable as she was!! All rider did differently wad to think TROT when trotting. And the horse gave a sigh of relief and thought 'thank goodness for that!' and offered lovely balanced gentle soft trot and smooth relaxed trot-canter-trot transitions. Amazing.

Fab! A friend of mine took her horse so I'm eagerly going to see if I can spot who she is from your descriptions now....

Horse 2: Very reluctant to move off the leg and stopped like "an ocean liner". Mark talked about phases of pressure and said you needed a response if you asked for one - otherwise horse just learns to out wait you. If HORSE chooses to need a stick before responding then use one. Also said horse had learned to drag himself along, and that this was actually harder work for him. He was not after more speed as such but a feeling of effortlessness which horse offered when he was willingly moving. Mark also said do not talk to your horse eg 'come on, walk on" etc as this was focusing on the past and on what horse wouldn't do not on what you wanted. So just go. No thinking, no nagging, no saying 'get on' just going! Much better movement and transitions, but after a while Mark felt something was physically up with the horse - belly ache - so they stopped and he checked the horse out, said there were few gut sounds and suggested getting treatment. Don't know what happened after that as horse left.

OH and I went just for two days of the 2nd Hampshire clinic.
He is a very skilled public teacher of people, as well as one of the best trainers for horses. So going to a clinic is (my view) very different from reading his books.
OH and I had an engagement in London late on Thursday night, so had little sleep and to drove down Friday morning, arriving too late to see all of Mark's instruction to the first horse. But I did none the less make a page and a half of notes.
Yes, one of Mark's basic assumptions is that the vast majority of horses want to do only what their rider wants of them. So we see our horses as willing, co-operative partners.
He analises the extent to which the horse is failing to understand what the rider wants - which may involve Mark showing the rider how to teach the horse, either to correct a wrong impression. Or to refigure something that the horse may have learned "wrong" in the past.
It over simplifies a little to say that all she did was to stop thinking about (worrying about) canter while trotting. Because Mark gave this rider a very full introduction to several basic principles of his riding technique, paying a great deal of attention to the halt and to not bracing in halt and back up.
Once the rider began to ride in this way, it was revealed that this particular horse was already in such good mental contact with its rider that it could respond to a whole range of thought intentions. Not only transitioning from one gait to another, but lengthening his stride in first trot and then canter.

Both humans and horse learn by watching and imitation. Watching Mark teach at a clinic you gain twofold. You see his behaviour and stance in relation to the horses. But you also watch him give riding lessons to riders -at a variety of levels and on a variety of horses. So it wasnt just a case of watching a rider who was nervous that her horse might launch into canter - Problem solved. From a Rashid clinic we come away able to apply the same knowledge to our horses and our own riding.

But you have to want to. What I have learned over the years is that people resist changing the way they do things. One of Mark's most important points (rephrased this time) is about breathing and the level of our breathing. He says that shallow breathing in our chests is survival breathing and it is mirrored in the horse. He suggested that every person who gets on a horse is - to some extent or another - frightened - which means that we are breathing like this. We take up the reins, the horse braces on contact, sensing our tension and we move off like this. Both of us braced, apprehensive, not breathing deep down to the diaphram.
When MaryPoppins asks about her horse feeling the difference when she is no longer scared, this perhaps is not only an explanation but a route to change. Yet even I who have watched Mark for a long time now, when I mount in the yard and ride off - I dont breathe deep after sitting - I may tighten my girth or chat to the girl who had helped me mount - I dont take up contact and then wait for the horse to soften. I let the mare make straight for the road, only too happy if she pushes ahead with enthusiasm.
This leaving things to the horse, is really not a wonderful idea. That was what Mark was saying. Be precise about what you want. And your horse will give it. But if the horse doesnt get direction, it is anyone's guess what decisions it will take.

There was a period after Mark's books were published here in the UK when he came to the UK several times. Each visit was publicised and discussed by people then on NR - otherwise I would never have known about him.
But it is four years since he was in UK and one cant be sure when or if he will come back. 8 hours solid teaching over three consecutive days is a demanding format for the teacher.
Yes it is expensive. You have to pay the hotel and the entrance cost. That costs twice as much now OH rides. Riders come over from Germany, Switzerland, Holland etc to hear Mark when he lectures here in the UK. The New Forest is a tourist area and OH and I decided we would go rather at the last moment, and couldnt find a cheap place to stay for the Saturday night. So we are not there today.

You used to find full details of all Mark Rashid Clinics on his website. Or more recently on Facebook. The organising, ticket sales etc is usually done by the Host of the clinic. He is about to do some two day group clinics in Scotland (different format) for which the contact is horsehelp@mypostoffice.co.uk, Morag Higgins.
I am not going to write more about this particular clinic on NR. Over the years I have regularly answered questions by posting that Mark Rashid in such circumstances suggests something or another.
NR now is dominated by other trainers and other methods.
And on a personal note, I did not post about the clinic here because I am no longer comfortable on NR. It causes me distress that I have not been able to contact NR member J_Leahy for whom the meet up at Studland must have been a distressing and isolating experience.

Last edited:
Thanks Skib for adding so much detail. What amazed me about all the horse-rider combinations is that althoiugh there was some technique involved it was really so very very little. It was 99% intention. And he must have said 'don't over-think things' a hundred times!

If anyone can get to Scotland I'd highly recommend it.

More horses later! Gotta go to the clinic now......

I am not going to write more about this particular clinic on NR. Over the years I have regularly answered questions by posting that Mark Rashid in such circumstances suggests something or another.
NR now is dominated by other trainers and other methods.
And on a personal note, I did not post about the clinic here because I am no longer comfortable on NR. It causes me distress that I have not been able to contact NR member J_Leahy for whom the meet up at Studland must have been a distressing and isolating experience.

How is NR dominated by other trainers and methods?
People do still post in this section, not as much perhaps because now we are subs we have lost a few interested in this area.

People have replied to the threads we are interested. I have only read his books, i have been to a couple of clinics different trainers but i find i don't take it all in. Friend has been to clinics and she does take it in, i think it is great if you get the chance to go.

Skib if people who are interested in a trainer & his methods don't post about them then of course they won't get talked about. Just don't expect everyone to agree! There are things I would never do with either of mine because I don't agree with the method, things I'd try with one & not the other because they are very different people & what suits one is wrong for the other, but just bcause I say I won't try a certain approach with a certain horse dosn't mean I think everything a trainer says is meaningless.

I'm not sure what Skib means, if its because no one is posting or replying to posts?
I read it and am interested and thought about attending in Scotland but I am on a tight budget meaning shoes and supplements come before expenses like clinics or books but would still read something someone has written on the forum regardless of agreeing or not agreeing or whether we use any of the methods or not.
I read many posts but dont reply as I either have nothing to say on the matter or don't have a clue. Its not personal or something against the poster which seems to be something that is coming up more and more on the forum just now.

Replying to the points mentioned on the clinics.

I have been taught about life up and down, your energy which would include breathing. My halt is breathe out, horse stops. Well in theory that is what i will be aiming for, i have a young baby and she will pick up, life up go forwards, life down stop.

I do one rein and i have to say this is the best thing i have ever learnt. I don't care who taught it, who thought of it, who developed it, the fact is it has stopping me PULLING. Now i am not relying on the reins, I didn't realise i was doing so until had different instructor.

Every trainer has something to offer you or your horse, it is just a case of looking and being willing to make the change.

Oh, T&M lucky you!!! Have been pumping girl on H&H forum for more info on what you saw!

Sounds amazing. I just think he is such a brilliant reader of horses, and have read all his books! Such a groupy!

Skib, I am not sure why you are not comfortable on NR because you can't contact J Leahy?

We all have horrible rides - I have been bronced off my horse on the moors, have made my friend go three miles out of our way because I haven't wanted to ride past horses, admitted all of my failures at our new yard - it happens. Sometimes you are not equipped to ride the horse you are on, whether it is yours or someone elses. Does it really matter? And why isolating? You only have to look at the Confidence section to realise that loads of us have issues. You just have to try and fix whatever it is that you can't deal with.
Really, it isn't something to be embarassed about. Sometimes it happens.

Everyone has a different take on trainers. I love NH, but just at the moment, it is my very traditional YO/RI who is helping me. Actually, in spite of the fact that she spits on NH, she does an awful lot of it without realising!!! What works, works?

Right then: head spinning from another day of Rashid Genius (seriously) and a long drive home but here is what I can recall of....

Horse 3!
Terrified horse with history of abuse. Not comfortable to be caught (day 1 was catching him!), not comfortable with people, not comfortable full-stop. So scared he was a danger to himself and others. Head in the rafters. So Mark started off in-hand (after the catching part!).

First he established boundaries - personal space. The horse was either walking through people to get away because he didn't trust them, or clinging to them for reassurance, neither of which were ok. So Mark created a barrier at arms length and backed him up out of his space whenever he crossed the line. His overall approach with the horse was: don't tiptoe around him. Don't feel sorry for him. Be business like. Owner was saying "he can't cope with ropes" but horse was fine being bumped with a rope. It was owner's anxiety about horse's reactions that was the problem.

Mark then worked on getting his head down for 2 reasons:
1 - lowering the head, lowers the heart rate and then improves the breathing,
2 - when head is up horse sees distance. When head is normal horse sees middle distance, only when head is lowered can horse see close up. So a head-the-air horse spooks at EVERYTHING because everything looms up on him unexpectedly because his focus on firmly on scanning things at distance. Also noises etc scare him because he isn't aware of what is around him close by. This was totally new info to me! Fascinating.

Mark got the head down by applying tiny pressure on the nose and releasing. Also by 'connecting to the inside of the horse' more of which later. Weird but astonishingly effective and moving.
Anyway within a few minutes he was stood quietly with his nose almost on the ground which owner said was a posture she had never seen him in before. Then they tried leading. Horse always led because he had not had direction before so took it on himself to decide where to go and at what speed. This made him anxious as horses are born followers. Mark made him back up whenever his head came in front. By the end of the session horse was being led around calmly. And today they rode in the arena, redirecting energy. Moving him slowly nearer the 'scary people', gradually expanding his comfort zone. Mark said horses are dominated by FEAR and CURIOSITY. First reaction will be FEAR and flight, but then the horse will want to know what the thing that scared it was, so it can find out if it's dangerous. So instead of using desensitisation where you keep presenting the feared object, just let the horses natural curiosity do the job for you And sure enough within a few minutes horse had ambled his way right up to the spectators.

What was amazing with this horse was the connection Mark seemed to have with him. He seemed to know exactly how he was feeling, what he was thinking and what he was 2 seconds from doing at any time! When rider obeyed a sudden instruction like 'turn him right' nothing happened. Ie horse just turned and it was all fine. However, when she was slow, or turned the 'wrong' way the horse got upset. Mark could see the build up of tension or anxiety and do something really simply to redirect the horses energy or attention. It was magical to see. And made me realise that however familiar these concepts are it is the subtlety of their application that is the key - and that's a lifetime's work.....

newrider.com