Mares...Seasons...probably a silly question

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
In clearly googling the wrong terms as can't find answer!

Do mares bleed as part of their cycle, or does their urine change in any way?

Madam gets 'messy' periodically. This is the second time since august ish last year. She gets poo all over her bum, and this browny water stain on insides of back legs. Particularily noticeable as goes all over beige snuggy hood. It looks like driedout watery blood. She was the same last summer just not sure what causes it.

I notice LL pee's like a watefall and within mins its at the edge of the stable. Ive not noticed it blood like but very strong and lots of it. Inc puddles in the field.

Her legs seem to go yellow like too.

She doesn't pee anymore than usual - but Im not sure if thats because no one takes her fancy :p Last summer she was squirting and winking at everyone - but not this year.

Just curious what caused the brown/red urine as I didnt think they bled like humans!

And FM - Geldings? Rascal can't keep his away at the moment... un less I try and clean it little beggar!

I only know niquitas in season as she does alot of tail swishing and general foolish behaviour shes not the kinda mare that "squirts" everywhere but iv seen a few that just dribble and squirt stuff everywhere! Its not bloody though to me looked kinda like clear/cream coloured if i remember...i try not to look lol! x

They don't bleed but they do urinate much more frequently and the messiness is probably that she's been flirting with other horses (I've seen mares flirting with other mares sometimes)

I think some mares do bleed, my mare often has some dried out blood in her tail when she is in season, not every time she is is season but occasionally. I had never come across a mare that did this before but the yard manager at our old yard said he has seen other mares do it...

newrider.com