mares in season - can moving home affect them?

raggydoll

Hattie & Bimble
May 16, 2005
North Lincolnshire
Just wondering as the horse i am riding has come into season and has been a bit of a nightmare. She dumped her owner shortly after mounting the other day and has been charging round the field calling and calling at the other horses and tarting with the geldings. Owner is nervous to ride her after being thrown off and i put it off today after i had spoken to her and lunged instead although she seemed very settled and relaxed if a little distracted. So i was thinking of suggesting supplements to the owner but wondered whether we should leave it a while first incase the move had affected her at all and made it worse this time than normal.

It is possible that the move has caused her behaviour to worsen during her season. Has she been ok when in season before? Perhaps wait and see what happens when she next comes into season, with winter fast approaching (sob :rolleyes: ) she may well stop cycling soon and it will all settle for a while :)

yeah thats true hadnt thought they will stop soon anyway (trying to forget winters coming soon too :rolleyes: ) Dont know what shes been like before this has been her first one here.

Yes! The mare I share came into season very noticeably as soon as she moved yards. The rather bad arrangement meant I had to lead her from her field across the field with all the yard's geldings to get to her stable - after the first attempt her owner refused to do it and has refused ever since! There was much flirting and squirting and winking etc.

It was just a bit traumatic for us :) I figured out how to lead her while swinging the end of the lead rope like an angry tail, kept all the frisky geldings from charging us! After that, not so many problems.

Anyway, just to reassure you, it happened that one time and since then, she's been back to normal. I think it's pretty normal behaviour when in a new environment with lots of potential mates...

Mares alwasy come into season a few days after moving yards...she should calm down again soon

newrider.com