Mares & Geldings..?

Lot1983

Oct 16, 2006
The Cotswolds
I know this is a bit general, but what are the difference between mares and geldings (APART FROM THE OBVIOUS!!).

I've always ridden geldings and so I prefer them, my friend has had a mixture of both and prefers mare's as usually they aren't as strong although can be sillier??? Someone else I know has only just discovered (in her 40's!!!) that she gets on better with mare's than geldings.

So what do you lot think?? I know it does depend on the individual horse but in general...?

i think it depends on each individual. there is the old saying "you tell a gelding, ask a mare and suggest to a stallion" but it doesn't always follow. my first pony was a mare and was not silly, rather strong and knew what she wanted to do (ie, if she wanted the rider on the ground the rider would go on the ground ;)) i now have a different mare and a gelding. both have their silly moments, my mare was ever so calm at the show on saturday (even though she hadn't been away from home for over a year). i'm not sure there is a general case :p

Most of my horses have always been geldings.... but I have a 3yo filly now - she is brave, gutsy and once you've established her trust, she will try her hardest for you - however, she will 'test' you.

My geldings have all been the type to just do as they're told.

As you say, dependent on individual but cleaning a mare can be easier-no hand disappearing up! Mares can be mareish in season but it depends on the horse/breed/temperament. I personally find geldings easier but it just depends on the horse. I've had bad experiences with some nutty mares but loved my TB loan-total school mistress in the school, demon to solo hack. Viewed an amazing mare last week but turned it down purely cos it was a mare-I'm an idiot:eek: and my lucky mate snapped her up for breeding.

I have found genders in horses to be the COMPLETE opposite of genders in people.

I find that it's the geldings that prove themselves to be more sensitive and 'understanding' (for want of a better word), than mares. I also think that the geldings have a higher tolerancy (is that even a word? :D) for things etc. I really don't gel with mares at all.

personally, i find their personalitlies completely different, i can't really explain how they're different, they just are. I'd prefer a mare any day of the week. would never buy a gelding again, he was lovely but just not the same as a mare.

In my experience...

Geldings enjoy affection more, are more loving (if thats the right word), are a little easier to read, are more willing generally, are more likely to break your things, rip rugs, get injured playing/fighting etc. etc.

Mares can be more prickly, dont like getting their feet wet, are more sensitive to children/inexperienced people, never break your things, never injure themselves, especially good at being total b*tches!

In my experience...

Geldings enjoy affection more, are more loving (if thats the right word), are a little easier to read, are more willing generally, are more likely to break your things, rip rugs, get injured playing/fighting etc. etc.

Mares can be more prickly, dont like getting their feet wet, are more sensitive to children/inexperienced people, never break your things, never injure themselves, especially good at being total b*tches!

you need to tell dawn that - she goes to kick harry and ends up kicking herself :p:rolleyes:

In my experience...

Once a mare has your trust it is fantastic!
Agree with all about mares except the breaking things- Kizzy ruins her rugs in 24 hours!

In my experience...

i totally agree with this!

Ive had 3mares and my most recent horse is a gelding - im never buying a mare again!! i can see such a huge difference and can do so much more things with my gelding than i can with my mare - due to teh mare being overly sensitive. i do think that shes an extreme though and will admit that my first pony (which i still own) is a bit of a tomboy mare and has a very similar personality to my gelding

In my experience...

Can you have a word in auburns ear please???? She has been one big vets bill from kicks!
Ludo(gelding)is pigheaded stuburn and a big wuss, doesnt do cuddles and would rather stay out with his mates than com in:rolleyes: he has tested me for the last year and i only just feel like we are beging to start a relationgship.

Auburn(mare) she has been a doll since i have had her although accident prone :rolleyes: she is sharper to ride but once she is with you thats that. She is also nowere near as spooky/wuss like as ludo. She always runs to you in the field, and loves her cuddles. Everyone comments on her and her manor! although i have only had her a few months i aready feel close to her:)

Love them both to bits though

I love my mare!!! She is quick to please and learn, but also quick to take the proverbial if you let her!!!! She takes a while to forgive you if you do her a wrong for no good reason too - unlike Joe our gelding who forgives and forgets just as quickly as the wind changing direction. I think I'd always prefer a mare, once you bond with them, there is nothing quite like it. I trust Storm more than ever after having her a few years, it just keeps on growing.

I don't know if you can stereotype to be honest.. I have an extremely sensitive gelding who can be very "off" and it takes a lot to draw any affection from him. I've had him 4 years though and he has now bonded with me of sorts, he will call to me from the field and we have cuddles and if something scares him he dives for cover behind me :rolleyes::p

On the other hand though he is a bit of a thug! :eek:

All horses are different, but I agree that there do seem to be specific divides between mares and geldings.
My arab mare is very easily offended, definitely has to be asked (never told. She has recently developed an aversion to backing up in the stable - yesterday we spent about 5 minutes pushing each other before she finally gave in, and then sulked majorly. I need to get her in the school and practice with her. She is a quick learner so it shouldn't take long), she hates getting her feet wet or dirty (I think this is an arab thing in general though) and was quite aloof and hard to get to know when I originally bought her. I'ne owned her for 7 years now though, and she can be extremely affectionate (she sometimes follows me around when I'm mucking out, with her nose on my back), is a complete lady in the stable, never pushes or shoves (unless you push first!) and is extremely quick and intelligent. Like Trewsers's mare, she takes a while to forgive!
Mind you, my sister's gelding is not your jolly affectionate type - he's grouchy as hell, and hates being fussed. You get all sorts I guess.

i always have said i much prefer geldings on the basis that the ones i have ridden have done less stupid things than the mares i have ridden, but then the mares i ride can go alot better/nicer than the geldings:rolleyes: as for strength half and half really the mares are just as strong as the gelding

basically they all have their own temperments and thats what makes them the horses they are so, i'd say there can be no difference at all at times:)

in my experience mares tend to be meaner and more PMS-ish all the time!! geldings tend to be more laid back and don't have their mind set on killing you stallions however are a completely different thread... which i might start!!

I must admit I liketo know where I am with a horse, so I prefer geldings. I used to own a mare, and you were never exactly sure what you were going to get. It wore me down in the end.

newrider.com