Mane care

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Just wondering do horse manes get thinner as they get older. My horse had quite a think mane which did grow even down towards the withers when he was younger. But now hes old he has a pathetic mane, which I cant get to grow near the withers and half way up. When I ruffle through and look at the skin it is pretty bald. He has been unrugged this summer so rug rubbing is not the cause. Just wondering if horses thin like people.

That will be interesting to know.
Sonny has a thin mane and always had since I have had him.
Andi has a really really thick almost doll hair wool mane
and always has I got her at 3 months old and shes 12
I wish hers was a bit thinner.

I think it does, our older gorse has a gloriously thick mane when younger then it thinned as he got older. My cob has a lovely thick one at the top half but the bottom half is quite thin :(

Storm's mane has gotten less - I've really noticed it this year. She is 20 next time and used to have a very thick one. It definitely seems thinner but I was blaming something lacking in her diet and wondering if she needed a feed balancer.

Mines on balancer. Im now given him linseed oil, to help with coat but so far no change. It just looks horrid. Tried to upload some pics but it wouldnt have it last night. I will take some of his baldness if I get chance. Think it must just be an age thing.

I chatted to some fell people with beautiful ponies with long manes.... I asked them how they got there manes so long and thick and all of them said the very rarely brush there mane only when going to shows.... I know this is true as we brush eva all the time and she has a thin mane and Lunan who we hardly ever brush has a mane to his shoulders....... his mane is kept plaited at all times except when we are showing.

I don't touch my horses tail or mane much either, it does get the odd witches knot if it's windy but I can tease those out easily enough with my fingers.

Reactions: Wally
I recently tried a product called Mane-ly it was really good at prevent wind knots I was so impressed that even though it is expensive you only need a little bit so works out less expensive than you think.... I am buying some :)

I was given some sample bottles when Melody made her tail a mess in the burrs and the photos I posted on a Highland site the lady kindly sent me samples and it really does work. I will post the before and after pics here

www.showready.co.uk

11866496_933634256706510_7340605883643468654_n.jpg 20614_933702493366353_3351254943921090852_n.jpg

Last edited:
That's incredible! :eek: my mare's mane is definitely getting thinner although her tail isn't. I don't do anything to it. Too worried I'd brush what wisps she has left away!

I recently tried a product called Mane-ly it was really good at prevent wind knots I was so impressed that even though it is expensive you only need a little bit so works out less expensive than you think.... I am buying some :)

I was given some sample bottles when Melody made her tail a mess in the burrs and the photos I posted on a Highland site the lady kindly sent me samples and it really does work. I will post the before and after pics here

www.showready.co.uk

View attachment 78945 View attachment 78946
Flame thrower??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Reactions: Native Lover
I dont brush mine or pull it, which is why I cant understand why its so bald. He has a lovely thick tail which was almost to the ground the other day, so I have chopped a good foot off it for the winter otherwise he stands on it which pulls it out. I just dont know if Im missing a trick with his mane.

Wow that was quite a knot!
Wonder if that Mane-ly is similar to
Cowboy magic.
Its quite slippery and does help after to keep the mane /tail from having burrs etc stick.
You have to be careful to not get it in a saddle/Girth area though.
You don't want it on your gloves or your hands not well washed or you will
have a hard time with the reins slipping in your hands.

Reactions: Native Lover
My horse has a very long mane and really thick long tail. I spend a fortune on mane and tail conditioner and spend at least 15 minutes per day brushing all the knots out. I can't do anything with him unless he is turned out to near show standard! I find that brushing it everyday helps to keep it nice and tangle free. If I go away and don't touch it for a week I end up pulling loads of it out because it is so knotty.

Roxy has grown a really lush, thick mane and tail since I've put her on Farrier's Formula (the feeding supplement, not the topical liquid) for her feet - and a thick coat. Her mane and tail were always a bit weedy before, so I suppose it's the biotin that's done that! Wasn't really the plan but looks good, although I've had to clip her already!

newrider.com