Mane and Tail tidy up/trim or keep long?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Ellie had a bath today and it gave me a chance to wash her mane and tail too, but still got me thinking as to whether maybe i should shorten her mane to a sensible length (eg. about 4") or leave it as it is? Same as her tail? Trim a bit of it?

Incidentally when she had her bath now she has her summer coat it is easy to see that actually she is a spotty!

pics to follow

I like manes to be tidy but natural looking to just below eye level.

eye level sounds a good guide, maybe i should take it up to just below eye level and then see how it looks and decide whether to go shorter or not? I think she might be more comfortable with less mane too as when it is sunny she has a fly rug as she gets sunburnt very easily (pink bits in the pics, never thought of asking if she got sunburnt when i got her but then it was winter!) and maybe less mane in her fly rug hood might be more comfy?

I like long manes just a preference I plait Jacks to keep him cool. But saying that I hogg my criollo and our pony who has a thin mane I keep it shorter so it doesn't look to whispy.

I like long manes just a preference I plait Jacks to keep him cool. But saying that I hogg my criollo and our pony who has a thin mane I keep it shorter so it doesn't look to whispy.

yes, she has hers plaited quite a lot, and the forelock plaited too/ Main mane in a running plait a lot of the time. Can't help feeling her mane looks a bit 'straggly' though?

Just trim it a little at a time but stand well back to look at it you can always take more off but you can't add good luck she a pretty horse so I think either way would suit her :wub:

I think that's the key. I do Joys over a period of a few days normally.

You can take more off but you can't put it back on again. It helps to look at your work the next day too to prevent making mistakes.

Just trim it a little at a time but stand well back to look at it you can always take more off but you can't add good luck she a pretty horse so I think either way would suit her :wub:

thank you :smile: She is a :angel: pony.

Her mane is a little bit shorter then it was when originally got her as did take a teeny bit off a few months ago, always feels so drastic shortening a long mane!

I normally like long natural manes, but she is so fine and pretty I think a nicely trimmed mane would suit her.

Her mane looks like Ziggy's, quite fine and wispy. It's hard to encourage long even growth even if you never plait (I've tried!) so perhaps a tidy up would be best.

Her last owner had asked for it to be kept long but tbh I haven't heard from her for months now

Is she actually yours to trim things off? I know when i took cob on long term loan my agreement was not to remove feathers or mane.

I would tidy because that is what i do with cob, so tail and legs. If you are showing in m&m class i thought they liked it long but tidy.

I would ony take off scraggly ends - it protects from sun burn - madams grows long like Ellie's but I try and keep it not straggly or rat tail like as a friend used to say

I just take the straggly ends off Storm and Chloe but somehow yesterday they both managed to end up looking like hobby horses with manes made from wool strands.....
Ellie very pretty btw.

newrider.com