Making your own fly repellent...

Garlic actually does nothing to repel flies..I read on www.sweetitch.com that they do not track 'prey' by smell, so the garlic does nowt! Its still good for the respiratory system though.

Oil of citronella is commonly used in fly repellents-can be bought from chemists.

Citronella oil tends to be on the expensive side so you would be better off buying a commercial brand spray. I use Asorbine Ultrashield because it's the only one I have found that protects (well that does a good job) against yellow flies. We have a HORRIBLE time with those here in May. I hear Phirana (SP? It's spelled differently than the fish :D) works well but it's oil base so it's very greasy.

I have not done it myself but Apple Cider Vinegar fed daily (1oz.) is suppose to reduce the flies. Anyone have experience? If you were going to make your own mix because of your horse's sensitive skin or your weariness (for lack of a better word) of commercial sprays I would recommed Skin So Soft, Vinegar, and water.

Why are you making your own? I noticed it's not always cheaper to make your own because, as mentioned, it does get rained or sweated off easily. Well whatever you decide - good luck :D!

Garlic

Garlic will work, but you have to have fed it to your horse for at least a couple of months for it to work its way round the system. Like all 'alternative' treatments, you do have to give it time to work. You can't just feed your horse garlic every now and again and expect it to work immediately!!

Garlic is effective - feed it all year round!

While we're on the subject of fly sprays, does anyone else find that most of them DONT work? I do wonder if the colour of my horse attracts flies - he's dark bay, as I've never found a fly repellant that's effective!

Thanks everyone for your replys.

I feed Garlic all year round, so i think it works a little bit.

I have made my on fly repellent using vinegar and skin so soft. I havn't tried it yet but i will tonight.

I find none of the fly repellents work, the only one i do like is 'fly away' but it is quite expensive, that is the only one which i find is the best.

Thank you

Hayley

newrider.com