Making Jumps question.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
My yard friend is moving at the end of the month and as a consequence will obviously be taking her jumps with her.
So I'm going to have a bash at making some myself as I am quite handy with a saw etc, the problem I'm having is poles, I know how to make the wings and can source the cups for a reasonable price (can't do metalwork sadly) but am struggling to source 'spin outs' or other suitable lengths of round timber, so thought about making use of downpipe 'spares' from work as they will be nice and light, but would they be too lightweight to use for poles, would it make them dangerous? Obviously I wouldn't use them as ground poles as they would be too easy to knock and roll about between/under her feet, but she's never had a jump down yet and I doubt I'll ever go high enough for that to happen but you never know do you.
Anyone else made there own and if so from what please?

I went to the sawmill and got mine, I would buy in proper poles and get delivered. Everything else can be make do, but I want actual safe poles.

I use tyres, I don't worry about wings. You can use cones, barrels, buckets etc.

I actually want to make the wings NF, I just like 'making' stuff, have used old haybales in the past and tyres as you suggested.
Do you think plastic poles would be safe if I capped the ends and put some sand inside to weight them?
I would use wood but am having problems sourcing. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

I actually want to make the wings NF, I just like 'making' stuff, have used old haybales in the past and tyres as you suggested.
Do you think plastic poles would be safe if I capped the ends and put some sand inside to weight them?
I would use wood but am having problems sourcing. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

They sell poles on Ebay, probably not the cheapest with courier on top. I agree with Email, I do like the newer plastic poles because they are light, but if a horse knocks it they can get careless.
I don't know what plastic your thinking of, you don't want it to shatter or split.

If ypu want wood go to a local sawmill or have a look on eBay for fence posts,you can get about 10 for £80 inc delivery and just saw the point off,they do varying thicknesses and lengths :) plus its cheaper to by fence posts than trotting poles if you as at a sawmill too ;-)

newrider.com