Making feed more appealing to a good doer

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
My horse gets naf slimline, biotin, garlic (until the tub runs out), turmeric and some naf supaflex liquid all mixed in to a small handful of hi fi good doer every morning. Friend tends to feed in the morning so I never see really how well he eats it but I'm worried that he doesn't scoff the lot and her horse and dog are eating the remainder. Shes commented on it before. Today I've done the horses for the second morning in a row and flip ate one mouthful and then walked away. I don't blame him as its not the most appetising looking, but he needs this for his hooves and lameness. So has anyone got any ideas of how I could make this more appealing without adding calories?
I add the odd set of carrot peelings from my dinner but tbh I don't think that cuts it. Flip has a sweet tooth from what I can tell, doesn't like mints in any form. Any ideas?

My first thoughts are-does he need what he gets?

What about fast fibre-they tend to like that.

The trouble with feeding numerous supplements in very little feed is that it probably tastes foul!

Joy likes the Dengie Good Doer she gets. It less digestible energy than the rest of the range but isn't the lowest in sugars. She likes it because it has mint in it.

Well I googled fast fibre and it sounded very familiar, went to my feedbins and found half a bag of the stuff from last winter - we were worried about hay shortage and bought some to supplement their rations but I didn't use alot of it.
Tried adding it to the remainder of his feed from this morning - a handful, and he ate a little more enthusiastically. Will reduce the chaff and add some fast fibre to make up to the same sort of volume and see how we go.
Will try the peppermint coridal as well, I did wonder about something along those lines. I add a touch of water to it as it is so that would help maybe.
I know its probably about the number of supplements, I did just feed him naf slimline and chaff but then we had the hoof problems so the biotin was added and then we had the lameness issues and thats when the turmeric and supaflex got added. Maybe I need to rethink things altogether, but I'm rue to do that until the hoof crack has grown all the way out.
Will look into the grass nuts as well, ta PFB:wink:

I had to give away a sack of fast fibre as its one of the few things joy doesn't like although the little man did. Mind you, he's more of a gutty pig than even her.

I'm just wondering if it's too many stuff in very little actual feed. How much chaff does he get currently? 1 scoop? 1 handful?

Fast fibre mixed with their normal chaff worked for mine.

Me too FM. Squiff is on bute till Tuesday but I have been trying him with turmeric and he doesnt like it and I am going to be putting him on a joint supplement and a bute supplement.
I use Happy Hoof but he tries to sift out the bute.
Whats Fast Fibre?

I would experiment with a few cheap cordials/juices like mint, apple, apple & raspberry. Maybe use a few and give him different ones on different days.

I use a bit of cordial to get Izzy to drink at fun rides etc.

I swapped to fast fibre as we have same problem, skratch, joint supplement, vits and mins and also occasional bute in a handful, at least in fast fibre its wet and all stuck in! We swap between a handful of hifi molasses free and spillers happy hoof or d and h safe and sound depending on whats in stock but she definately prefers the feed when the chaff is not made by dengie.. :unsure:

Thanks PFB.
Might have to try it.
I think I may have some speedi beet with dried mint through it leftover from winter I could try till I order some Fast Fibre.

Funnily enough he scoffed down his bucket this afternoon minus the bute..

Mmm, fast fibre didn't go down too well on day two....although I was going out for the tiniest ten minute stroll after and he knew it so wasn't in the best of moods. I think he gets as anxious as I do sometimes! Once we were back from our mini hack, I left him with the bucket, came back five minutes later and it was turned upside down and licked entirely. We could be on to something with the fast fibre, but I've now got apple juice as well so will give that a go next. I feel awful for feeding flip what I do!!!

BTW, I appreciate you shouldn't ride straight after feeding, but considering the amount I feed and the fact that we merely strolled around the outside of my field and back (just to reset the period since my last ride!) I think it wasn't too much to deal with.

Fast Fibre - I know a lot do like it - but google wheatfeed and oatfeed and see what you come up with.

If you need him to take meds, I personally would go with Simple Systems blue bag grass nuts. Just summer value grass nuts. You soak them, there is no soya, wheatfeed or oatfeed, just grass.

I use unsweeted apple juice - tescos cheapest!

Have Had to use it for Tess when she has meds and Acorn & Nuts when they had Anti Biotics- a small carton would do me a few days -

Doesn't like mints?!!!!!!! He's not a real horse! Lol - mints always do it for ours!lol I used a feed balancer to get Joe's supplements down - Baileys Lo Cal - he wolfed it then! Maybe try Happ Hoof as a "carrier" for supps? Just for a change?

newrider.com