Making a will - provision for your horse

alisonq

Mar 29, 2009
Greetland, West Yorks
I know this isn't a very nice topic but I don't know who else to talk to about it! My husband and I need to make a will and I have some concerns about what would happen to any horse I might own at the time of my death. I keep my horse on full livery at a local farm and none of my family ride other than me. I am 46 by the way, married with 2 grown up sons.

Just wondered if any one else here has made a will and has made provision for their horse? Has anyone left a donation to a horse charity and arranged for the horse to go there? Or gifted him to someone else? I am really concerned about this - particularly as my current boy is 19. Obviously I am not planning on going quite yet - but we never know whats around the corner and I just feel I should make my wishes known.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts to share?

Don't put it directly in your will but instead make a note in the will than any horse/dog/aardvark or whatever you own at the time of death is to be treated as in the most recent letter of instruction.
Otherwise you will be changing your will everytime there is a change. Much easier to keep an up to date letter of instruction filed.

One of my friends has named me in her will to have her horse in the event of her death. We have agreed that I will do what is in the best interests of the horse/myself at the time because it is impossible to say what situation I will be in if the worst happens in say 10 years time. We have discussed that if I cannot keep the horse I will retain ownership but find a suitable loan home. Or, if I couldn't keep the horse, or find a suitable home, then the horse would be PTS in the best possible way. She has left me a certain amount of money to cover the immediate costs until I found a solution.

To be honest it is a huge responsibility but I wouldn't let her or her horse down.

I would not bother to make provision in my will at this time.My OH would sell the horse is suitable to be sold,or if it was elderly/infirm then I think I would make sure he knew to have it PTS as soon as convenient.

Of course he might choose to keep the horse as a pet depending on what horse it was,if we'd had it a long time etc.He is mostly capeable of caring for a horse as helps me out a lot when needed,but I would make it clear I didn't expect that and he must do whatever is easiest for him.At the end of the day what I want doesn't come into it really as I won't be here to know any different,and at a time like that when you've just lost someone,last thing someone would want to be thinking about would be a horse.

Luckily we have a few horsey friends who I know would help him out making any decisions,and seeing it through,and I trust them completely to do what is right and best for everyone so is not something I have to worry about unduly.

If you don't have it in your will then your executors can ignore any "Note " that you leave. Make some provision you never know what is round the corner.

A friend of mine died & her non-horsey relatives put the horse up for sale as it was part of her estate, just like a car or a ring!

there used to be a norwich union policy you could have which paid for your horse to be taken in and cared for by a charity for 20 years

can't remember the exact details but i do remember reading about it.

newrider.com