MAJOR Breakthrough!!!!

Sunshine*

Jun 16, 2005
Sauble Beach, Ontario, CANADA
Okay.. so it is not going to sound too major, but it sure is for Dakota and I!!

He's a three year old who has never had ground work done on him. Needless to say, he when I got him he wouldn't lift his feet for me!

Today was the big day!!! He lifted up hir right front foot and allowed me to pick out his hoof!!! I was Terribly excited and he got a big handfull of grain!!!

Sorry, it seems so stupid, but I had to share my excitement!!!

Well done! Little things are big breakthroughs with young horses. It's easy for those with older horses to forget all the little things that have to be learnt.

Is there a certain way of teaching these things; or is it just a question of tugging at a hoof?!

Everytime I groomed him I would lift up his hooves. If he started to jerk for it, I would make sure I held it up till he stopped.... .b/c if I were to let him get away with it he would never learn. Then yesterday, just by chance, I had the pick in my hands and thought "why not!!" So I lifted up his hoof and he just held it there!!

It's taken us quitea long time, but I think we're finally progressing!!

He did it again today!! I'm so proud of the little guy!!!

I tried to get him to hold his left front hoof as well.. that didn't go quite as well though. This past summer I injured my left arm and am not as strong in it. So my dad offered to hold up Dakota's hoof for me while I picked it. It kinda worked, but since he's never had to lift his feet, he's still really off balance!!!

newrider.com