Magnetic Hock Boots

banny

Jun 20, 2004
Lancashire
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good Magnetic hock boot? My horse was diagnosed with arthritis this year.She is on a joint supplement and other than being a little stiff when i first ride her, she can do anything, gallop, jump e.t.c. However I am aware i am going to have to keep a close eye on her over winter so i thought i would buy a magnetic boot to help, especially as turn out is reduced over winter. I have seen many boots for the lower legs but not shaped ones for the hock.

Thanks

Magnetick Hock Boots

Hi Banny,

There are various magentic hock boots on the market, saw some in Derby House last week that were shaped to fit the hock. Type magnetick hock boot into google and lots of links where you can purchase them from comes up.

Manda
ps PM'd you also

You don't have to place the magnets over the affected area, just anywhere on the horse will work so you can use any boot on the market, my mare's got djd in hocks and fetlocks of both hind legs, we have the normal Bioflow boots and both areas have reduced swelling after she's worn them.

Vast Improvement....

My mare has recently been diagnosed with arthriris in her left hock (albeit very early). I now use Bio-Flow tendon boots for around 8 hours a day. I sought loads of advice on this and it seems you don't have to put magnets on the actual joint, just make sure they are over major arteries as they work on improving circulation. By putting them on the tendon it stimulates blood flow through the whole leg. Have noticed a bog improvement in her range of motion and they must be working as her legs are quite warm when I take them off.

I also use Cortaflex HA, Cider apple vinegar and cod liver oil and touch wood we are doing really well. Just started xc on monday and have been doing dressage, fun rides and aiming for h/trials now. Difficult to pinpoint which is doing the trick, but I don't mind using them all if we get the right result. 3 months ago people were telling me she was just grumpy and moody and I should sell her. She couldn't canter, gallop or jump any more. I knew there was something wrong with her and it wasn't just her temperament to misbehave. After she was diagnosed with arthritis the same people told me she was knackered and I should get rid of her. I am so pleased I didn't listen to them as I love her to pieces. Its costly maintaining her but she is worth every penny!

NB - I was told not to use magnets during exercise or whilst travelling in case she cuts herself and the blood will take longer to clot. I use Bio-Flow as these work on circular magnet fields and they are apparently the original products that have been tried and tested on humans.

Thank you all. The vet did mention bony spavins or DJD. I had no idea that you don't have to put the magnets on the affected area but now i think about it humans have them on their wrist. I think i am going to look for tendon boots as i think it will be easier to get a good fit/stay in place better and if i were a horse i think that would be more comfortable than hock boots. Thanks again, Banny

newrider.com