Magnesium

Innocence

Jun 1, 2009
I was thinking of using a magnesium supplement to reduce my colt from being nervous.

Can you use human brands of the mineral bought from tesco or asda? or would i need to get a named horsey brand?

I bought it off ebay - sheap as chips :)

It looks dodgy though - a white powder :eek: that came in a little plastic sealy bag lol. Might also find feed merchants supplies it - but what I got off ebay was much cheaper than the shops - you also need to look at whether you get heavy mag ox or not.

I don't think he needs anything heavy, it is quite placid but quite nervy aswell (if that makes sense) :confused:

Ah no - it comes in a concentrated version, so you have to feed less - its called heavy mag oxide I think :) - Silver didnt like it in her food, so would probably go for the heavy version - I was giving her about a teaspoon a day and she is 12hh.

Is it continual nerves or just about certain tasks?

Mag ox isnt a calmer as such - but if the grazing is deficient in magnesium then it can result in moodyness/anxiety/mood swings - so if he isnt deficient, its unlikely to have an effect I think (might be wrong) - but one of those things where you wont know until you try!

Im not feeding madam the rest of hers - if you want the bag - about 100g maybe in it - you can have it for postage - it didnt do anything for her, and I can find it having moved yesterday!!! She needed 6g of it estimated for a 300kg pony.

Just PM me :)

popularfurball has it in a nutshell. It acts to correct a deficiency if there is one. Deficiency in magnessium can account for spookiness.

However, the fastest bit of the growing season is when grass is most likely to be deficient rather than now.

newrider.com