Magnesium supplements

molly34

devil's advocate ;)
Mar 9, 2006
Surrey/Hampshire
Having a bit of a think about Magnesium and trying to get more info - there's a lot out there but its so bitty, and its such a popular topic the first gazillion hits on google led to threads like this!! I'm also a bit bamboozled by the massive range in brand, types and prices. So..... 3 questions for anyone who uses it:

1. What different makes/brands are there? What's the difference?
2. Do you feed it for calming, hooves, or both?
3. (Roughly) how much does it cost per day or week?

thanks muchly

1. What different makes/brands are there? What's the difference?

You can buy calmers that have magnessium in them such as NAF Magic.

I use Magnessium Oxide which I buy from here

2. Do you feed it for calming, hooves, or both?

If you click on the link I gave you it has all the info as to when and why to feed. I use it as a calmer it took about 5 days to take full effect and 2 days for Joy to return to being skittish without it.

3. (Roughly) how much does it cost per day or week?

The link I gave you is £2.75p Plus £2.59p p&p. Obviously you can bring the cost down by buying more in one go. I find that that pack lasts just over a month.

Here is some additional information. I asked this seller a question about why I should buy Magnessium Oxide or CalMag and here is the reply I got:

CalMag is the unpure form of magnesium oxide. It is much grittier in texure and it is about 52% magnesium oxide. It is therefore a lot cheaper and less volume is needed as it is much denser than the magnesium oxide. Although the recommended amounts are the same for calmag and magnesium oxide (4g per 100kg), some people find they need to feed more calmag to get the required effects.

The magnesium oxide I sell is pharmaceutical grade and is 99% pure. As it is a fine powder, it is more easily absorbed than the CalMag. There are 2 forms, light and heavy. The heavy is more dense as it has been heated longer in the manufacturing process, so costs a bit more. This means that although you need the same weight of light or heavy, less volume is needed of the heavy.

I personally give both my horse magnesium oxide (heavy) (to reduce the risk of laminitis), as it is easily absorbed and they only need 2/3 heaped teaspoons each a day

It really it a matter of choice! Some owners are not keen on the gritty-ness of the calmag, but the horses rarely mind.

newrider.com