Magnesium Oxide

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Hi, My 14yo TB is fairly newly barefoot so I bought some MagOx (from Barefoot Basics, the "heavy" stuff) to add to his feed - two and a half weeks ago - as I know it's good for hooves as well as being well-known as a calmer. He's not being ridden at the moment as his feet aren't up to it, we're walking out in hand, 20 mins daily in Soul Mates pads. He's fed Calm & Condition, Alfa-A Oil and BOSS. However, since I've started feeding him the MagOx he's actually got a lot more hyper and stressy.... in fact, the complete opposite of what I would have expected. We DID move yards a month ago so I know he's still settling (due to circumstances we have moved yards quite a lot in the past year, but Roo settles very quickly and takes it all in his stride - as an ex P2P racer I guess he's travelled a lot). He was a lot calmer for the first couple of weeks than since I started him on the MagOx.

Has anyone else's horse ever had an adverse reaction to this?

Yes, I've got one that's a total grumpy baggage on more stressy on magnesium, I think it irritates her guts. It can be a useful supplement but there's far too much assuming all horses must be deficient and need supplementing going on the last few years IMO. Excess is excreted so its safe in that way but an excess can still irritate the guts.

newrider.com