Lunging lesson with Skeet (long reining next week) - huge success!

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
Last night my RI and I started in on the new non-riding lessons that we will work on until I get a saddle sorted out.

We worked on lunging techniques last night. Skeeter was a star! I was learning all the proper cues to get him to do things, where to stand relative to him, how to hold the lunge line and other details. He is a brilliant horse - he was forgiving when I made a mistake and moved so well when I did things correctly. He was been well trained at some point in his distant past.

His trot was outstanding - my RI said he is starting to engage from behind which is a big big big step! :) His riding school days of the nose poking out or up are behind him - this horse can soon reach his full potential! And my RI helped me solve the issue of him taking wrong lead on right canter on lunge (does not do riding, but has been doing this when I lunge him). I was letting his shoulder drop in too much, and she showed me how to correct it and voila! He was picking up the lead perfectly! :) I do think I will see some new and improved riding with some lunging and long reining work (plus new comfy saddle for him).

Skeeter looked amazing. He has shed his winter coat, and is very glossy. After the workout, his veins were showing in his front (chest/shoulders), and he just looked like such a manly hunk of horse! :) Strong and sleek in true tb form. My RI even commented how great and athletic he looked.

Wow! What an improvement Scarlett! You two are improving by leaps and bounds. Its amazing what a break from riding can do to your relationship. You will definately be reaping the benefits when you finally get your saddle.

newrider.com