Lunging attire

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
When you lunge what do your horses wear.

With us I suppose its what purpose were lunging for. Junes normally just in a HC because its for the sole purpose of exercising her.

Womble when "working" has his lunging bridle (full cheek snaffle with grackle on so he cant open his mouth to avade bit ... His trick before tanking sideways down the field), roller with a sheepskin pad under it, some bungees and his lunge line.
I lunge in bungees to encourage him to not be a giraffe. He doesnt wear a roller or bungees if jumping.

Sometimes if its a quick 10 min just to say hes been exercised lunge he just has a HC but can be a pig if the mood takes him

As you can see we also need to loose some weight

So what do you lunge in and why?

Last edited:
Bridle, roller, 2 lunge lines and sometimes the bungee between his legs.

Kev knows I don't have full control when I only have 1 lunge line on him and wont work properly....it usually ends up in him galloping around me for 10 minutes while I stand in the middle getting dizzy saying 'Keeee-eeeeev, steeeeaaaaaaady' a lot!

We lunge to give him the change to work properly through his back without me on him. It also gives me the chance to see how he is moving.

Leather lunge cavesson and line. She's a sweetie to lunge these days tho I have never felt qualified or experienced enough to use anything else. I'd hate to have got it wrong at her expense. We don't lunge much now tho.

It depends.

If I am longreining I would use a bridle, two lines and stick. Its just a plain snaffle. Sometimes I put the lines onto the halter and do it bitless, usually there is jump up or trotting poles or I may go off round the field.

Lunging with one rein always in a halter with stick to encourage forwards. Sometimes no saddle sometimes with, no roller, no bungie or anything else. She is starting to use herself without gadgets which I doubt I would fit correctly. I add inhand with this so sideways on a circle, quarters in.

Last edited:
I only have a rope NH halter and long rope, with or without a whip, nothing else.

They can do walk trot, change direction, halting, stuff like that with just that on.

I only lunge for 5-10 minutes, as for mine, it isn't exercise but just practicing what they are learning.

I lunge Ben in his normal tack with side reins attached from saddle to bridle (after a period of warming up of course). I remove his noseband and put a lunging cavasson on instead.

If I am lunging for excess energy after time off just a HC.

If I am lunging to help build muscle over his back and top line I use a pessio (sp) and a bridle.

Ginger will stretch down and long on just a HC but I can not collect him to work from behind to do this he needs either side reins or the pessio I personally prefer the pessio as it allows the horse to work into the contact.

Usually full tack and side reins and lunge line (attached to bit on opposite rein working and threadeed over)

Front and back boots

I usually wear a hat and always have lunge whip

Have lunged him in just head collar too though

Bridle, lunge line (rein over the head like Gattino) and saddle and I carry a lunge whip. No side reins. I generally lunge as a warm-up or settle-down before riding, or sometimes if I'm not riding for exercise or schooling. Don't usually bother with a hat, but always wear gloves.

Bridle, lunge line (rein over the head like Gattino) and saddle and I carry a lunge whip. No side reins. I generally lunge as a warm-up or settle-down before riding, or sometimes if I'm not riding for exercise or schooling. Don't usually bother with a hat, but always wear gloves.

oh yes gloves forgot about those, I always were them too :giggle:

We line over the head to.

I know placing it in different places does different things (ie under chin is supposed to cause a nut cracker action?) So what does over head do? We have always done it as it was how I was taught many moons ago.

Wear gloves if I have some on me, dont usually wear a hat.

Eta ive just (asin yesterday) introduced womble to a lunge whip. Never ever needed one with june as she lunges beautifully but teaching womble to canter on the lunge is hard work and ive had enough of running about with him on the end of a line.

Funny I picked it up and he can canter a couple of circles in 1 go on his good rein and a full circle on his bad rein. Sod!!

Last edited:
I lunge Moët in: halter and rope, bridle, lunge roller and side reins or Pessoa. I always attach the lunge rope to the halter though. Once I did the through the bit over the head and clipped on the other side and you could see it clearly interfered with the work of the side reins and she got very upset....plus I like to do quick direction changes to keep it interesting so when attached to the halter I don't need to alter anything just step back and point the other direction!

It stops the bit being pulled through the mouth, which it would do if you clipped it to one bit ring, and it gives you more control than a cavesson.

I have never done it over the head but I have clipped it through to the otherside or used a coupling.
Though to clip to a bit I always use two reins for equal contact. I am not keen on lunging off the bit with one line.

I have never done it over the head but I have clipped it through to the otherside or used a coupling.
Though to clip to a bit I always use two reins for equal contact. I am not keen on lunging off the bit with one line.

Agreed and once you get the hang of it, it is super easy! I like that I use the same aides I would as ridden, I can also change direction standing in the same spot, no faffing....we can even do it at trot if we want. I never really lunged before I bought Kev and one of the girls at the yard taught me this way, the only reason I would lunge in a headcollar with one line now would be to use excess energy....although I would probably just free-school if I wanted that....

newrider.com