Lungeing - Stiffness??? Help!!!

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
OK, so I have just started Cherry on some light lungeing.... she has clearly been lunged before as she knows the ropes. OH came to watch us in the school today... she was going round clockwise and I told him that this is her "worst" side due to her bad leg and he noticed that she doesn't bend or at all - her head and neck are actually bending outwards of the circle arc. I had noticed that when I ride her and trot her straight she bends to the left but I had put it down to her being a happy-hacker and not being balanced. When I changed the rein at the lunge, she bends round no problems. She is just in a lungeing cavesson, no bit and no roller and no side reins.

Do you think this may just be because she has not been schooled for a while or should I get her checked by an equine physio?

(Sorry, new-mum nerves!!!!)

Every horse has a bad side one that they can't bend as well as the other. It's normally down to the case of getting exercised and schooled more on the other side. So i would work harder but on to hard on the bad side and do circles e.t.c to make him more supple and bending inwards instead of outwards. It's not really a concern as most horses are like this the horse he/she will just need some extra schooling. Hope it helps.

Thanks Kirstie! I think I panicked earlier and turned to my NR support network. Will definitely do more work on the worst side to see if I can get her working in a more supple shape before I run off in terror for professional help (and that just ME!!! :D )

Like I said, new-mum nerves!!!

I would agree with the others that mention that, it not something to worry about at this time.
All horses are righty or lefty like people.
It would help your horse by doing suppleness execises before riding, so do lateral, vertial flexions everytime.
Use your hand and apply pressure on his pole until he lower his head then quickly release and do this about 5 times.
You would need to stand near his shoulder and place your hand near the crestline or halfway of his neck, while holding the lead rope with the other hand,and then push on his neck far as you can to get a bend then release.
Do this 5 times on each side of his neck.
Still stand on his side, but near his barrel, just grab the barrel his skin with your fingers and hold and then release after 5seconds, and this will cause him to to lift his back and spine, so do this very slowly and be carefull.
You would need to disengage his hind end alot and this will help him to soften this area.
In the saddle and now he is warnup -try doing serpentines,figure 8's in both direction at different transitions.Allow him to find his natural tempo,then change that tempo to up or down and you and your horse should notice the differents in a few weeks.
I hope this helps

My horse is the same and has one side better than the other. Ive been told to school her with lots of changing the reign and circles and serpentines to help her bend better and get used to using both sides.

my friends horse had this problem and worked on exercises from the ground with her to get her bending towards her stiff side such as the carrot reach. He also got a chiropractor out to her and it turned out she had a shoulder injury which had caused the problem. They worked with her and the chiropractor gave him exercises to help. She is now going very nicely and he has just started to compete at unaffiliated dressage with her.

Today we went into the indoor school and did some carrot stretches - mostly to her stiff side. She managed well once she sussed what I was trying to get her to do but she definitely seemed to find it more difficult (but not impossible - and it didn't seem painful for her) to bend round to the right than the left. Thanks for all the advice everyone. :D

newrider.com