Lungeing Lovely Cally

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Lunged her today and decided to forget about the lungeing whip and the voice and try and get her moving purely off intent/energy.

She was amazingly responsive. I was able to cue walk, trot and canter with no more than upping the energy in my own body and sort of sending it down the lunge line. And changing how purposeful my walk and breath were. I was playing round with how subtle I could make the cues and still get a response and the answer was very subtle. I wish I'd stopped there, but then hopped on board hoping for a magical light ride. But the connection was gone and she was sluggish and heavy! Oh well you win some, you lose some! Also tried to 'join up' with her after the ground work, but she wouldn't 'join' me. (See other thread). No idea what that means. Xavier did join up even though he was LESS responsive to me during the work. Cally was very engaged and focused on me, but didn't. Maybe he is just more in need of reassurance, being so low in the pecking order. Cally is respectful of me (I think) but she is certainly not needy.

newrider.com