Lunge to get rid of steam????

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Madam is currently undergoing her hock treatment and I am confined to walk and trot (and canter if she wants to according to vet). Problem is, because we have done nothing but walk for ages and ages, she is a bit wound up atm and when I asked for trot this morning it was like the 2.30 from Cheltenham:help: She is full of beans and steam. Now, will check with the vet but do you think lunging would hurt first? I don't see the difference if I only do huge circles and walk with her and move around the school - than if I was on board and we cantered (which vet said I could try if she was willing). I know a lot of people say lunging is hard going on them - so thought I'd ask your opinions. I need to get the steam out of her before I can safely hop on and canter! At this rate I'm going to need a seatbelt and suit of armour...............:help:

I'd get vets advice but my instinct is to say no. Is the likelihood going to be that she'll be quieter on the lunge than ridden and that you'd have more control? Certainly in my case I have more control ridden and whilst it doesn't matter if Joy decides to hoon on the lunge it will matter to you.

I wouldn't lunge, maybe as others have said free school or possibly long rein to give her something else to think about, can you give her walks out in hand safely for a change of scenery?

I wasn't going to stick to walk, was going to let her trot large circles and canter if she wanted to. Reason I say this, is because last week vet said if she offered to canter then let her - I wondered what the difference between her cantering on the lunge line - or with me on her back would be?
Wouldn't it be harder going on her with me on her back??? Hope this makes sense! I just didn't fance doing 0-60mph when she takes off in canter with me!!!! (insert wimp icon here).

I was puzzled as to why I was allowed to canter in short bursts on-board but not lunge?
(Sorry if it is such an obvious answer - it could be me being blonde again!)

Just wanted to also add; she is allowed turnout and has been going out every day - just that when she's not done anything other than walk with me on board, when I ask for a step up gear wise, she does tend to get VERY keen and rather excited! She isn't "naughty" just a bit forward going and sometimes over-enthusiastic - sometimes I can find it a bit unnerving when she gets excited with me hanging on!!!! I sort of thought if I'd lunged her first - then it wouldn't be so novel going at any speed and I'd get a nice calm, collected canter...........

newrider.com