Lumpy saddle - help please

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
:mad::mad:

I've just discovered that the flocking in my saddle is all lumpy (it's an old Heather Moffett GP, and I had it re-flocked a few months ago). My instructor said I shouldn't ride in it, because it could hurt Hebe's back, and we've just spent a long time doing physiotherapy and groundwork to cure her stiffness. The saddler said it'll be at least three weeks before he can come out, and the last thing I want is three more weeks (or maybe 4 or 5) of not riding, especially as it's the Easter holidays, so I'll have plenty of time.

What do you knowledgeable people think? Would she be OK with a sheepskin numnah, or a different numnah? Or should I look for another saddler (hard to find!) or just go out and buy a new Thorowgood or something? She's a Haflinger with the usual Haflinger problems - round barrel, low withers - but I was lucky with this one, which I bought for another horse, of a totally different shape, but which fitted her fine once it had been re-flocked.

Please don't use your saddle. If you have just completed an expensive and time consuming round of physio you could put this back further.

I know it is frustrating I am going through the same thing. A sheepskin can sometimes help but I just would not risk it.

I had to learn to long rein to pass the time and found that I really enjoyed it and it was a lot easier than I thought.

Sorry not much help and I hope it works out for you

newrider.com