Lump on belly

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
I have spotted a lump on Odins belly/side it feels sort of lumpy and doesn't seem tender a friend said it could be an odema due to excess protein so i have cut out his vitamin biscuits. i'm going to give the vet a call tomorrow just wondered if anyone else has ever had this happen? I spoke to his old owner and it has never happened before. I did give him a little alfa alfa over the last couple of weeks as I picked up the wrong feed doh, he has now reverted back to hi fi light as we don't do masses, I've also been giving him new market joint aid and codlevine oil as he is 24. I normally put a little treat of a bit of apple or suede parsnip or something in the bucket. he also has some steamed hay and any grazing is limited there is barely anything in the horses strip. I have only had him since march and i'm sure it wasnt there when i got him. We only go on light hacks and have only done a little cantering the past fortnight so I don't think it would be a strain. He isnt over weight either.

the vet will think im pestering as the vet has only just been to do there teeth and up date the tetnus etc.

i dont think so as its prob a bit bigger than a fifty pence and is not hard like a horse fly bite but feels sort of squidgy

Hmm. How long has it been there? Is it pussy/hot/bothering him?

Silvers reaction to "something" comes up as a fifty pence piece size lump, and protudes about a fingers depth. Suspect horseflies, but dont know yet.

i think prob about five or six days i wasnt to worried when a friend said it could be due to protein but she did mention liver. its not pussy at all and doesn't seem to be bothering him at. I'll call the vet will feel a walley if he says its fly bite but better to be safe than sorry! how long would you leave it to go down before calling?

If not bothering him then 3-4days :)

So I would be doing the same - just phone for advice and see what they suggest :)

..and get a photo to post on here, sure someone can help you - im not up on lumps unless they are an allergy :p :D

Harvey had a similar lump last year that swelled to the size of a side plate, was soft and squidy and under his belly.

It probably is a collection of fluid and likely to be because of a fly bite or similar but worth asking your vet there opinion over the phone (it's free!). I hate asking the vet advise too in case its seen as pestering but as my OH says "It's not the NHS..you're paying when they come out so no harm in asking advice as it's their job." :p:)

Hope it goes down soon.

oh really i didnt think it would be a fly bite as the small ones are usually hard. i called today they said it sounded like hematoma to monitor it for a little longer and then call back in a couple of days if i was still worried. so im glad i rang

oh thats a relief if your horse had one that swelled to that size it may only be a fly bite. I have to admit im sparying them but they are still getting bitten, i gave up with fly sheets as they tore them constantly but they do wear masks though and i give them garlic.

thanks for all the help everyone :)

Could be a fatty lipoma like humans can get - don't think they give any pain but I could be wrong! Also, just thought youmight like to know, Storm has a sort of swelling / lump near her withers - and its been there a couple of years, not terribly noticeable, but vet said nothing to worry about. HOpe it goes or you find out what it is.

newrider.com