Lump found

Innocence

Jun 1, 2009
Hi,

My TB is now rugged permanently to proctect against cold etc. The other day i was giving her a scratch and came across a scabby lump at the base of the neck (top of the chest). It's not dirty, not gone bald just a big scabby lump. I'm sure i could pick of the scab but this would cause a bald patch. Could this be the start of ring worm or something?

Have you got any pics?

T has one in the same place - she's had iot about 2 years and it's like a nodule with hair. Every so often the hair comes off, but it never weeps or anything. vet says hers is probably nodular skin disease but shouold be ok just left unless it starts to cause problems.

I will try and get some pics, it is about 1.5" wide (direction shoulder to shoulder) and 3/4 inch length ways.

Hard to say without seeing but I was wondering if it could be rain scald – moisture from heat of being rug ? if they got sweaty at all? Just another idea.

Rain scald occurred to me aswell, she doesn't have a particularly woolly coat but it has been raining a lot lately but been quite mild. Her rug is MW as it gets quite cold here at night.

No, the neck is very lose on the rug with her being a foal, the rug doesn't touch that part of the neck. Seems to be clearing up after putting some athletes foot cream on.

newrider.com