Lower Leg Position At Rising Trot, And Jumping To New Heights! Picture Evidence!

Maggles4Lyf

Jan 9, 2008
Boganville
www.weluvhorses.com
YAY!!
Just got back from a week long riding camp, and i have found that thanks to your advice with strengthening my upper leg in order to make my rising trot position more consistent, it worked!! i know my toes are pointing out etc, but it was the last day and everyone was really tired, and it was a really hot day, so i wasnt riding at my best. but im so happy!! and camp really really helped with my jumping confidence, i can remember less than 2 years ago when i cried over crossbars that were literally a centimeter off the ground!:rolleyes: check out what i can jump now, and i was practically begging my RI to go higher, but coz i was riding with others who didnt want to, i couldnt. but im soo happy! we had a gymkhana the day before we left, and the RI decided coz there was heaps of riders, we could only enter 2 events, +the rider class we all had to enter. I entered the barrel race and the showjumping, and came first in both!! :D:D:D then i came 4th in my rider class! i was so happy with my 4th, because i wasnt expecting to even place!!

untitled.jpg

RiverJumpVideoFrame005.jpg

By the way, the horse i was riding wasnt the horse i usually ride, on this camp, we are meant to change horses each time we ride, (but im good mates with my RI so i managed to ride my favourite - the one pictured in my other older thread - until she pulled up sore with girth galls and a tender mouth - the tender mouth wasnt my fault according to my RI, she just doesnt get as much regular work as some of the other horses, so a week of being ridden twice a day was alot for her, which was fair enough. apparantly i have really soft hands :D, i can remember when i had the HARDEST hands ever!!) and then i was put back on river (who was my favourite this time last year), who they only use for exp. riders atm coz he is a bit spooky. My favourite, the one who pulled up sore, is a lead horse (so only the staff members get to ride her), so im REALLY REALLY lucky to be allowed to! but anyhow, and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is great, and i have more pics coming!
:D

Last edited:
Gosh that horse looks like a grumpy little lad :eek: What's up with him?
Congradulations on the two 1st and the 4th. That is excellent :D

Gosh that horse looks like a grumpy little lad :eek: What's up with him?
Congradulations on the two 1st and the 4th. That is excellent :D

hehe yeah he can be a bit grumpy, that was just one of those days, and naturally he chose to play up in front of all the kids parents lol! :rolleyes:

and he isnt a smoochy horse :( but hehe he's learning to love it!
not like maggie, who could honestly just stand there being hugged and kissed and having her poll massaged all day long!

:D im so happy with the way river is coming though, as he's only young and still a bit full of himself lol!

got a video!! :D:D
haha this is the bit where all the critisism comes :rolleyes: haha!
constructive critisism is wonderful, thanks guys!
ps, do you think i am too far forward when jumping?
and i know i need to fix my rising trot position ahah... i kinda lean forward without meaning to. lol. but that will be fixed in my next lesson. :D

many thanks for the CONSTRUCTIVE critisism :D

YAY!!
Just got back from a week long riding camp, and i have found that thanks to your advice with strengthening my upper leg in order to make my rising trot position more consistent, it worked!! i know my toes are pointing out etc, but it was the last day and everyone was really tired, and it was a really hot day, so i wasnt riding at my best. but im so happy!! and camp really really helped with my jumping confidence, i can remember less than 2 years ago when i cried over crossbars that were literally a centimeter off the ground!:rolleyes: check out what i can jump now, and i was practically begging my RI to go higher, but coz i was riding with others who didnt want to, i couldnt. but im soo happy! we had a gymkhana the day before we left, and the RI decided coz there was heaps of riders, we could only enter 2 events, +the rider class we all had to enter. I entered the barrel race and the showjumping, and came first in both!! :D:D:D then i came 4th in my rider class! i was so happy with my 4th, because i wasnt expecting to even place!!

untitled.jpg

RiverJumpVideoFrame005.jpg

By the way, the horse i was riding wasnt the horse i usually ride, on this camp, we are meant to change horses each time we ride, (but im good mates with my RI so i managed to ride my favourite - the one pictured in my other older thread - until she pulled up sore with girth galls and a tender mouth - the tender mouth wasnt my fault according to my RI, she just doesnt get as much regular work as some of the other horses, so a week of being ridden twice a day was alot for her, which was fair enough. apparantly i have really soft hands :D, i can remember when i had the HARDEST hands ever!!) and then i was put back on river (who was my favourite this time last year), who they only use for exp. riders atm coz he is a bit spooky. My favourite, the one who pulled up sore, is a lead horse (so only the staff members get to ride her), so im REALLY REALLY lucky to be allowed to! but anyhow, and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is great, and i have more pics coming!
:D

looks good up look where you are going and you should never lose rein contact it is very dangerous to lose control mid air

looks good up look where you are going and you should never lose rein contact it is very dangerous to lose control mid air

True.
& Also you don;t want to risk giving him a big yank in the mouth if you don;t follow him over the fence when he lands. If you keep a contact, you generally feel changes in pressure, therefore can release very quickly if you need to (ie getting left behind, or the horse to stretch further). By keeping the contact consistent over the fence, it gives you a better landing and takeoff to what your next going to do - you don't want to lose the contact. You may also confuse the horse as, think of it communicating with the horse... then imagine you are the horse and you have just had the contact totally taken away... how do you know where your supposed to be going next, and do you want a telling off if you dive in another direction because you weren't properly informed?

You look good, I like your lower leg on the flat - envious! - looks really secure. The jumping picture, you also have a good position, except your ankle (toes!). Try getting your back parallel with horses also.

Hope you had a good time! :D Sad to see hossy looking so miserable! :(

newrider.com