Low sugar likits (or similar) for barefoot?

Sticky's GF

Sep 10, 2007
Hythe
Well the boy jezza has been BF for 9 months now and is doing well. :) With winter on the horizon I have been advised by my BF trimmer to adjust his feeding to reduce his sugar intake. He will be on hifi light, unmolassed beet and oil plus haylage.

I give him as much turn out as poss, usually 10 hours a day, but he has to come in at night and can get bored. So previously he would have had a snackball filled with carrots and a likit or similar....so.....what do other BF people use? Is there a reduced sugar lick out there??
:)

I've never seen anything that would be suitable for mine, all likits have too much sugar in and all treats have mollasses in them!
You need to find something that your horse likes that is natural ... I give mine rosehips or blackberries as treats - you can just go pinch them off the hedgerows at this time of year!
Do you not give him the haylage to eat when he comes in?
My horse is only out for about 4 hours a day as he cannot really tolerate much more than that and he's fine in the stable, he's got used to it now ... just stands eating his hay :)

I've never seen anything that would be suitable for mine, all likits have too much sugar in and all treats have mollasses in them!
You need to find something that your horse likes that is natural ... I give mine rosehips or blackberries as treats - you can just go pinch them off the hedgerows at this time of year!
Do you not give him the haylage to eat when he comes in?
My horse is only out for about 4 hours a day as he cannot really tolerate much more than that and he's fine in the stable, he's got used to it now ... just stands eating his hay :)

Yes he gets haylage, enough to keep him in good condition and occupied most of the night, but if I gave him as much as he could eat he would end up putting on too much weight, which would give us other hoofy issues. Plus i'd probably be penniless :p I'm after something that will occupy his mind but that isn't going to have an adverse affect on his feet.

I've tried hanging a swede up on a piece of string, but he knocked it and it swung back and hit him in the head and he was most upset and wouldn't go near it after that!!

I dangle it near the wall so they can pin it if they want.

Mine love them, they are very salty and don't break up like the man made salt blocks do. Full of natural vitamins and minerals as well:)

I've tried hanging a swede up on a piece of string, but he knocked it and it swung back and hit him in the head and he was most upset and wouldn't go near it after that!!

PMSL! Oh dear me ... poor thing! :D:D
Use two small hole haynets, one inside the other for his haylage and try the small pieces of fruits/herbs for his snackball. Finding things that horses will love and work hard to get that do not contain some sugar is difficult!

I steer clear of sugar as my horse is quite sensitive.
So i use a snack ball with alfalfa pellets in. ( i use the dengie ones).
He has alfa a lite or oil depending on his weight so I just reduce that to take into account what he's getting int the ball.

PMSL! Oh dear me ... poor thing! :D:D
Use two small hole haynets, one inside the other for his haylage and try the small pieces of fruits/herbs for his snackball. Finding things that horses will love and work hard to get that do not contain some sugar is difficult!

See thats the other issue, I feed his haylage from the ground. He has unidentified 'back issues' so I try to feed him in a more natural position. Off to google sugar content of different vegetables!! :)

Still got your old likit containers?

Reduced sugar fruit juice, pour it in, freeze it and hang it up. You could even add bits of fruit. It'll last in winter. ;)

Ref your haynet issues, you could try a paddock pillow instead of a haynet - at least I think that's what people are calling them! You make it yourself... you'll have to bear with me while I try and find a thread on it from a while ago on the IHDG which could take a while as my pc keeps going on strike!

I use Spillers Hi Fibre Cubes and Simple System Lucienuts in a snack ball which has worked for mine, but depends on whether yours is sensitive to alfalfa and how sensitive to sugar they are. The Spillers Hi Fibre cubes are actually pretty low in sugar, but obviously still have to be given in moderation!

newrider.com