Low red and white blood cells - Help

Sam_22

Apr 6, 2007
Northern Ireland
I'm bringing my 19 year old Connemara gelding (Brandy) back into work after a year and a half off due to COPD. I turned him away after 6 months of treatment for a year and a half and he's started to get better (thankfully)! He's now turned out 24/7 over winter and out overnight in the summer (laminitis victim :() So I've started to bring him back into light work i.e mostly walking, bit of trot.

He got his vaccinations this morning and the vet took blood to check his blood count as his white blood cells had been low last year. Got a call from the vet left on my voicemail saying he was really concerned because both Brandy's red AND white blood cells are low and he want's me to ring him back on Monday so we can discuss treatment. I rang the surgery to get some advice/help but they said he had went home for the day and they told me to speak to him on Monday as he had requested :rolleyes:.

Thing is, Monday feel's like a long time away and my nerves will be wrecked :(. Has anyone had any experience of this before?? How is it treated? Does anyone know how it is caused??

Thank you in advance :).

Sam xx

Hi- I am not a vet but I am a people nurse- If your horse was a human I would say with a low red blood cell count you would be anaemic may need a supplement to help with that- I did have an anaemic horse once who needed iron supplement in food- white cell count in humans usually indicates something not quite right with immune system- but I do not know what they may do with that- they may even want to run the tests again as the bloods may not be accurate- I hope that sort of helps and I WISH you all the best :)

Hi Sam

I am no medic, but a low red blood cell count is similar to anaemea in humans.

So horse may feel a bit weak, short of breath, fatigue easily.

However this can normally be rectified with an iron supplement. Unless there is an underlying issue.

As far as white blood cells go. Someone who has a low blood cell count has a low immune system, so will be susceptible to catching virus' etc. People/animals also show a low white blood cell count when they are fighting off diseases, as these white blood cells are the cells that destroy (or try to) any invading pathogens which may cause/be causing a disease.

However I have googled it and found something similar to what you describe :)

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2822455/Main/2821954/

Hope this is of some help, and try not to worry :)

one of my good freinds' horse had a low blood cell count (cant remember if it was red or white) after a virus of some sort - pony came out in lumps. she is now better but it took a year - that does sound alarming but it wasnt that bad - she was only able to to a certain amount of work although she was still winning dressage comps. My freind was just very carefull not to overdo it with her and eventually after trial and error found a feed combination that improved her greatly.
try not to panic and wait until you have spoken to the vet on monday - pm me after that if you need to discuss any thing regarding my freinds pony - x

newrider.com