Lovely confidence building ride - with pics!

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
This morning I headed off to my friend helens yard (Sparklie off here who has bobby the cob) to ride bobby and try and regain a little bit of lost confidence after womble ditched me at the show on tuesday.

It was lovely outside and I got on and warmed him up. Instantly felt a little nervous as hes a hand bigger and half as wide as womble. Warmed him up and instantly fell in love with his easy gate. He has a gorgeous trot and I havent felt that moment of suspension in a long while as womble just doesnt do it. Popped him into canter and had a play shortening and lengthening strides and then helen called us over.

There was already a course set up and she gave me 2 cross poles, the rest were straights. We had a play over single fences and putting 2 together. Playing with the 3 different doubles and getting the feel of him. It was so nice to get on something that listened and I knew I could walk him at it and he would still go over it. I had a great time and she was sneekily putting them up! We put a course together (ok it fell apart on the final line where we had a double of a spread AND a gate) but we got round and lived. I had fun and she asked me what id "like" to be able to jump

Realistically on womble id like to jump a 75cm course clear and in control with no stupid mistakes. She popped the 2nd half of a double up to 75 and sent us on our way AND I DID IT and was beaming from ear to ear!

and the spread of death!

I was over the moon and headed back to my yard to practise a few things we had learned (not jumping. More about legs on and letting him go, not fighting with him, positive attitude etc etc) and we had a lovely ride round the field. We even walked through a small gap between a running tractor and a wall! He was lovely to ride and we had some awesome canters where I just sat deep and gave with my reins and let him go, if he started to get ahead of himself half halt and then go back to sitting quietly with low hands and he actually offered trot instead of fighting me for the downward transition. So pleased!!

Just needed to share as after tuesday I was feeling really low about my naff riding ability.

Video of full course to follow!

Yay!! I know how it feels to be down in the dumps and then have a good ride which brings you back up again. Keep hold of that positive feeling and remember it when you get on Womble again.

I have always loved the look of that hoss! I'm glad he looked after you (wouldn't expect him not to!) and that it's given you a bit of a boost. It is very difficult to teach a green horse to jump if you don't have enough faith in your ability - you will be hesitant, and they feel it, and some horses will take advantage of that.

Hes gorgeous jess. Such a lovely boy who just wants to please.
Defo hard :( im not scared if wombs at all, however my jumping confidence is very low atm and when im on my own (which is normal for us) I dont push myself out of my comfort zone at all. We have been invited to go and ride bobs as often as is needed for my confidence and helen has kindly offered to come and help with wombs when its needed (ill just buy her a tent to live at our yard ;) )

Oh it was YOU on her FB pictures!!! I didn't even recognise you... lol Well done... gotta love The Bobster.....

Yeah ive wacked a bit of weight back on (a bit is being kind :( ) helens yard is about 10 mins up the a19 from us so shes nice and close :)

Defo hard :( im not scared if wombs at all, however my jumping confidence is very low atm and when im on my own (which is normal for us) I dont push myself out of my comfort zone at all.

I get you. I don't jump on my own, ever. I am worried about getting it wrong and not having those all-important "eyes on the ground" to talk me through it. I find it is very easy to talk yourself out of things when you're on your own!

newrider.com