Lou has lami, devastated

noodle

May 29, 2007
Essex england
www.waggy-walkers.co.uk
We have had lou lou for a whole 5 days now, we have been so careful with her, putting her into a small grazed down paddock for 2 days, then onto a dif paddock for a day, then brought her in during the day and grazed at night in another grazed down paddock.
I though she was foot sore due to a HUGE trim the day b4 we picked her up, but went to the yard this evening to let her out and she couldnt walk! pulse in back feet, but not hot, speed dialed vet, emergency vet came out, and yes its lami.
We are totally devestated, we know how difficult lamis can be to care for because we was part loaning a lami.
I thought we did everything right, she had been living out for the last 18months, no cresty neck, a nice fit healthy weight, ect ect
But vet says she has had lami b4, even though I asked the seller twice, has she had lami? she has got to be shod now too and has total stable rest for 1 week, not even allowed out her stable in the next week because the concrete outside is bumpy.
We wanted a pony to join Rosie, to be barefoot like Rosie and ride out together.
The insurance wont cover this either because we have only had her 5 days, the call out fee alone at 6.20 tonite was £90

I am so upset

What a shock for you :(

Is it not possible that she came already with it? :confused: If she has had it before and was footy when you got her she might have had this bout for a while. It doesn't sound like you could have stopped it.

Did you get her vetted? They should have picked it up?

Not that that helps now, I do hope she makes a good recovery and you manage to keep it at bay.

She wasnt footy for the first 2 days and sore feet down to starting walking her round the yard ect from day 3.
She came from a riding school, but hadnt been used for a long time due to not being a lead rein pony and too small for alot of the WTC riders who wanted to ride bigger ponies.
Didnt get her vetted, didnt feel I needed to because of where she came from.

But the vet was FAB, he arrived within 30mins, explained everything, all routes that could be taken with her, and also what the costs of different routes of treatment would be. so nice to find a vet that didnt want to take every single penny I owned.

They can get stress induced lami so could just be the move has upset her system a bit. I wouldn't panic about the shoes Bramble is on her way to having them off, so long as she hasn't rotated tonnes unshod should still be an option for her when she's painfree.

Your vet or you, could ask for her history form the RS vet in order to deal better with the problem at hand. (Although the treatment would prob. not change) a way to get her history.

She could have been off due to lami. There is one near us that the little grey pony was off with lami for months, and there was no lack of small children there!!!! Ask some of the kids that go there, they will all know, gossip and kids etc.

If she has had it recently she would have "thick" horizontal lines on her hooves, till it grows out the bottom. If it was longer that 6-9months growth time you may not be able to tell except by xrays to see if the bones have moved. Thin horizontal lines are normal diet change lines.

Its also worth mentioning that even although the vet thinks she has had it before, its surprising that your farrier didnt pick it up when he trimmed her. I would have expected him to have been able to tell so she possibly hasnt had laminitis recently.

You might just have been unlucky here. Dont panic too much just yet. My little mare, who is chronic laminitic, has just had her shoes off and is starting to get the hang of life barefoot.

They can get stress induced lami so could just be the move has upset her system a bit. I wouldn't panic about the shoes Bramble is on her way to having them off, so long as she hasn't rotated tonnes unshod should still be an option for her when she's painfree.

completely agree, I know plastic glue on shoes are a option too. Lacey's lami is from what i can tell nearly always stress induced, she's back out living 24/7 at grass now although she does come in during the day twice a week or when her pulses are a bit higher then normal, just to keep a lid on things.

Poor you, but don't panic many of us have been there too.
Keeping my pony barefoot after Lammi was a godsend. It helped her to get better and then sound and then grow back strong good feet. She was certainly able to work barefoot. I kept her out in a bare paddock but fed hay all year and vits/mins. She was always trimmed regularly.
Some vets are not keen on this approach. Mine indulged me because she knows my barefoot farrier and me. She wanted shoes on but I'm so pleased we didn't.
Try not to worry. Get the nutrition right and it will all get better.

Don't panic about shoes too quickly. My coblet had a mild bout of lami a couple of years ago and stayed barefoot, I had to cut her work down for a few months but a year later you couldn't tell there had been anything wrong with her. For a really bad one doing well without shoes have a look at Fred's blog on www.unshod.co.uk.

newrider.com