Lots of questions about buying a horsebox (apologies for the length!)

Star_Piper

Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
I'm not quite ready to buy a horsebox (thinking Autumn next year), but after reading a couple of threads in the last few days I realise I know even less than I thought. I'm going to trawl through all the old threads in the travelling section when I have more time, but in the meantime any opinions/experiences/recommendations are welcome!

I'm planning on using the horsebox for things like trips to beach, riding club meetings, a few shows. Nothing major, or too far away, so I have no requirement for living area. My current pony is a 14hh Highland. I'd be looking for a 2-horse box, with the second horse being bigger (I don't have a second horse, but for illustration sake, say something about 15.2hh - 16hh, and either LW or MW). Until the other day, I thought if 2 horses physically fitted in the box, then it was fine to drive them about...had no idea a payload existed :eek:

What I do want the box to have/other points to consider:
* Horses to travel herringbone/rear facing.
* Rear load, and I'd really like a side ramp as well
* Enough storage space for 2 sets of tack, feed/hay/water for day etc
* Able to see horses from cab, either CCTV (which I could get installed myself), or passenger able to see through to back.
* Like to keep overall running costs down as much as possible, so more economical models/more reliable makes to go for/cheaper to insure?
* Scottish NRs, where do you go to get your horsebox serviced (if you're in the Strathclyde area)?

My driving licence is from 1996 so I can drive up to the 7.5 Tonne lorries at the moment. But what's the difference in driving between something 3.5T and something 7.5T (and the in between ones)? I get the impression I'd find it easier to find something affordable out of the 3.5T range, but does the fact it's a heavier model make insurance costs etc go up? I assume petrol consumption will anyway!

Limited budget available - amount not yet calculated, but under £10,000 anyway. Preferably a good bit less, as then if anything suddenly goes wrong just after I've got it, I can afford to get it sorted.
Who's the best to get a 'survey' done before buying? I'd been going to use the AA, but is there any better company to use?
Would it be sensible to select my servicing garages first, then find out what makes/models they find easier (and cheaper) to maintain?
Would I be best to try and find exactly what I want (or as near to it as possible), or pick up a bargain (around the £2K mark) that doesn't quite meet the criteria and get it refurbished? I've got no idea what those costs are like, I'm guessing the answer is something like 'How long's a piece of string?'

I am of course following EllyKoopman's thread about converting a lorry to a horsebox, but don't think I'm brave enough to take on anything quite that major!

And lastly, are there any good websites out there that tell you what you need to know about buying horseboxes, and legalities concerning them? I've googled it a fair bit, but nothing overly helpful's come up!

newrider.com