Losing weight - effect on falls riding?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Are slim people more likely to be injured in falls?
When I started to learn to ride 11 years ago, I was about 3 lbs over weight.
With a well padded seat.
I have never got hurt falling off and have always been scared to let my weight go below what it was when I started to ride. In case it makes me more vulnerable to break a bone if I fall off.
What do you think?

I think the lighter you are the less chance you have of a crashing fall.

I've always been small and skinny and although I've had some horrific falls I've only ever broken a bone once (on my first ever fall off a horse!). I'm 5ft2 and I've weighed in the region of 7-9stone the whole time I've been riding as an adult - even at my very skinniest I only ever ended up at bit bruised. There are lots of factors that would influence this though - the speed you are going before you fall, the height you fall from, the angle you fall at, what body part you land on, how you land, what kind of ground or object you land on.... the list is endless. I think as long as you are as fit and healthy as you can be then you are doing your best to prevent a bad injury.

I've never been over 8 stone and don't really have much by way of "padding", but despite LOTS of falls and plenty of minor injuries I am yet to do myself any real damage. No broken bones or anything like that. I suppose skinny people may be more likely to bruise on a hard impact because of the lack of padding, but as Rubic says there are just too many variables to take into account. In terms of broken limbs I don't think weight makes a difference tbh, landing awkwardly on your ankle or putting an arm out to break your fall will probably result in some level of injury whether you are 8 stone or 18.

I would have thought the lighter you are, the less damage caused? Although do like your idea skib - it would be comfort to a larger lass like myself!
I have had many falls but not done myself any serious damage, the only thing I do have as a lasting impression, is a 2"x2" square of nerve damage to my left hip - its like the top layer of my skin is numb. I wonder if that would have happened if I was six stone lighter!

Really I guess its more about the density of your bone, which may have some correlation with weight, but I don't think overall its the only factor to consider.

I don't really think your weight counts. I have fallen whilst fat and thin and can't really say there is much difference.

If anything I would think thinner is better, you tend to fall less heavily and be more agile.

Probably more important to have good bone density and muscle.

I've always been led to believe that the thinner you are the less damage you will do falling off, not quite sure why, maybe on the assumption that a thinner leaner person is fitter and therefore more likely to roll out of the way or land better (ie if their muscles are toned?). I once asked my RI many years ago and she said slimmer people landed better than those more well padded.

Thank you all for those thoughts. It does show that my fears are probably nonsense. You are right to remind me that there are lots of factors. Speed, height of horse etc.
Today my weight has gone below my "safety" level at which I started riding. I will see how it goes. Perhaps the reason I dont have confidence issues is that I have all these tiny personal rules and fears?

I think age comes into it as well to a certain degree. I know it hurts me when I fall a lot more than it did when I was younger.

As we get older we are less flexible and you do have to watch the 'bones'.

I try and do other things to keep me as flexible as possible, like Pilates.

If you continue to work at staying fit and flexible along side your riding you have a lot less chance of hurting yourself.

Thank you all for those thoughts. It does show that my fears are probably nonsense. You are right to remind me that there are lots of factors. Speed, height of horse etc.
Today my weight has gone below my "safety" level at which I started riding. I will see how it goes. Perhaps the reason I dont have confidence issues is that I have all these tiny personal rules and fears?

I'd actually suspect that the reason you have all the tiny personal rules & fears is because you do have confidence issues & it's you way of hiding/managing them.

I'd actually suspect that the reason you have all the tiny personal rules & fears is because you do have confidence issues & it's you way of hiding/managing them.

No, these are taught fears. Unlike most of you I had my first riding lessons from a poisonous RI who didnt want me to ride at all - Warned me I would kill myself hacking on our local common.
So of course I try to minimise the chances of my dying but I never hack without her warning on my mind.
It is really important for older beginners to be taught by people who still ride. An RI who has retired due to health or a fall doesnt feel you (me) have any right to presume to ride at all. Nor did it help when the only person I knew who rode locally was killed in a fall out hacking. I dont have confidence issues but I dont believe that anyone can ever get on a horse fully confident that they will come home alive. None of us can be sure of that.

How many people get killed daily driving or as a passenger in a car?

Does it stop us getting in one?

Life is full of risks. I think we all worry far to much about horse riding accidents because of what people say.

I think it would be nice if you could put those thoughts about what the RI said firmly out of your mind. In my own experience, I think as long as you take sensible precautions. i.e. don't ride round like a lunatic and make sure you have a suitable horse the chances of getting seriously injured or dieing are extremely unlikely.

Most serious riding accidents involve extreme riding i.e. Racing, or Eventing, most hacking accidents involve cars.

Since you are not about to go and enter the National, please try not to worry and enjoy yourself:smile:

If you feel fit enough that's all that counts.

Nope I don't think being thinner makes a jot of difference, I've never been overweight since I came back to riding and have had quite a few falls, none of which I have ever been injured by bar one, which came about from Oscar my 16hh ex racer at full gallop onto hard ground, I landed mostly on my head and also tore the medial ligament (I think that's what it's called) and partially detached it. None of which would have been any better off with extra padding.
Funnily enough I never ever worried about falling off until after that experience, the ligament damage I have lived with and for the most part two and a half years on it's ok but the head injury was enough to make me very cautious and completely destroyed my confidence.

I am 5 foot 7 and just under 9 stone. Fallen off 5 times since last June and have had a few cuts and bruises but have never broken a bone. TOUCH WOOD! Might be because I was a gymnast as a kid/teenager so I know how to roll!

I want to say thank you to NR and the people who reassured me here.
I went on doing Wally's 2/5 dieting and am back at or below the weight at which I started riding.
It is such happiness to wear my expensive long boots again and the younger me is beginning to emerge. It does indeed feel as if I am better balanced in the saddle too. Which is the opposite of what I thought.

Interesting question Skib!! :smile:

Im really not sure....

I only weigh 7.5 stone somtimes less! and literally am skin, bones and a little bit of muscle LOL!

Ive never really hurt myself falling off...or broken anything....*TOUCH WOOD!!*

I get the normal achey muscles and twinges...but dont seem to hit the ground that hard because of my weight so maybe that helps??

But cant helping thinking if i had a bit of fat it may cushion the blow a little LOL!?

I have to admit Skib, I feel tons better in the saddle from losing weight, all together more flexible and more at one with the horse. I haven't fallen off since I lost weight about a year ago but I now from before, I don't think the extra pounds help, if anything you fall harder.

The last 7lbs I have to lose is off my thighs so when I gain weight it goes on my thighs first.

This means that my thighs roll under and affects my position in that way. Most annoying.

Ive never been big but have went from skinnier to curvier as Ive aged lol and has made no difference in falls but I think age def makes a difference as I am more aware of falls now and I thud or crack not bounce haha :cry:

newrider.com