Loose screw = Dangerous horse (sorry, long)

TBEventer2002

Ready To Rumble
Jul 15, 2003
Ross County, Ohio, USA
Visit site
Hi all. As usual, I am here to indulge in your vast knowledge and expertese. :)

Received some devastating news last night. My dad and his sister "rescued" a young stock Paint gelding named Cole a few years ago from a family who did the typical thing: bought a baby horsey for their young daughter who wanted nothing more than a cute baby who was black with four white 'feet'. Of course, the child lost interest, and we found ourselves with a not-quite-a-yearling (which was fine, we have raised babies).

Fast forward to present day. BIG problems with auntie as she is literally mental & a hypochondriac (on about 30+ pills three times a day and has attacked my mom and I), so we are moving. My dad has paid the rent on the farm (where auntie and uncle have lived; bank was going to forclose on their house and they had three horses who needed a home) and done most of the work (my mom, brother, and I help, too). Dad has paid for feed & hay as well, and auntie never even comes out of the house, even to walk the dogs, so you can bet she won't come out to help stack hay! Anyways, Dad has let them mooch off us for almost 4 years now, and we are tired of it. So we finally got our own farm (moving October 9!!!!!), and Dad has made the tough decision to not take on their horses. Mind you, auntie is pulling the guilt trip of a lifetime, saying how she will have to sell all the horses and put her dogs down because they cannot afford to feed them and whatnot (she says this as she walks around in her brand new $80 shoes and flashes her new jewelry). We have given them four years to get on their own two feet.

Somehow, she mananged to convince her 'friend' Stephanie (who is a FAB lady! She is very talented, you might know her Trakehner stud, Insterfurst?) to take on Cole, who just turned five this spring, to start under saddle (although auntie does not ride anymore). Once auntie found out (by accident) that we were moving in October, she started with the guilt trip and asked Dad if he wanted Cole because Stephanie said he was working beautifully and was very sane. Dad was considering it, but no final decision was made yet. I have handled Cole since we 'rescued' him, and I always thought there were some times when you could just look at him and something somewhere wasn't clicking right. But he never put a foot wrong, and we totally trust Stephanie & her opinion!

Found out last night that we are not taking Cole. Turns out that her hubby (who we also have an extensive history with, but he and Stephanie just met about a year ago) wanted to hop up on Cole to see how he was going since Stephanie was just raving about him. Don is a great rider, so I cannot imagine how the following happened:

Don got on, Cole was great. Not antsy, not even breaking a sweat. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, Cole bucks a HUGE buck and throws Don at least 6 feet into the air. Stopped immediately and stood quite calmly (still not even hot) as Don got up. Don took him to the round pen to work with him there, Cole followed perfectly. Got into the round pen, Cole was quiet and calm as anything. Then, again, all of a sudden, he just started going nuts and completely destroyed the round pen. Took off running, and they chased him around the farm for at least 20 minutes. Finally, Stephanie caught Cole in the middle of a field eating grass, calm as could be, still not even hot, let alone sweating. He walked calm as could be back to the barn like an old pro.

Now, these events are rather scarey, but even more so by the fact that Stephanie -- who took on Insty as a young "dangerous" horse that tried to kill her -- is scared to death of Cole, and Don -- who has ridden for years, is a pro, and used to start horses in the old days by jumping on and riding out the bucks -- refuses to get on him again.

I know that Stephanie takes fab care of her horses and would have noticed the slight bit of tension in case the saddle was starting to pinch or whatnot as Cole's muscles were changing. But according to her, Cole has been an absolute dream to start under saddle -- very willing, compliant, and best of all very quiet at all times.

Does this just confirm what I always felt, that Cole just has a loose screw somewhere and would be too dangerous for anyone to ride again? If so, we need to know what to do with him, as Dad does NOT want him with us and Sue cannot handle him, and we do not feel it would be right to try and sell him knowing he might be a nutter. I have only met one other horse who was said to have a loose screw & blow up at times for not apparent reason, and he became just an expensive pasture ornament.

Thanks for reading, all, I'm sorry for the length. :(

Last edited:
i'd be inclined to get him checked out for a brain tumour or similar. it doesn't sound like normal naughtiness, especially if two people that experienced think there's something seriously amiss.

Didn't even think about that, Es, great idea! But then we are left with what to do if it is or isn't. Surgery would be very costly.

Could it be anything with chemical imbalances? If that's the case, it could be corrected with supplements, right?

I am just trying to get a feel for any possible options. Thanks!

options aren't good for a brain tumour - usually the horse is in pain at least some of the time, and very unpredictable as it grows and presses on various bits of the brain, so may do things like gallop through fences, injure itself etc. normally a horse is put to sleep with a brain tumour. i don;t think they can operate with enough chance of success to make it worthwhile - at least, i've never heard of an operation for it.

i've not heard of many horses with symptoms like this, but the few i have have been tumour-related.
i certainly wouldn't try to sell him - as you say, that's not fair on either him or the potential buyer - don's fall sounds like it could have been very serious indeed.

aren't there cases where there has been pain e.g. the horse has strained ligaments/something in chest. Horse will react violently when this pain happens but it can go very quickly.

I'm sure Richard Maxwell had examples like this ??

I seem to remember it was an injury that doesn't tend to get picked up, cos of where it is - unless you know to check for it.

Thank you for the information, Es. I was afraid to mention it before in case anyone decides to flame me, but we were considering putting him down as it was, especially if we find out it's a tumor. We definately don't want to ship him to a rodeo as a bronco or anything as he's very sweet (and that's just cruel anyways).

We will be calling Stephanie this evening to figure out what she recommends us do. Thanks again for your help in this nasty situation. :)

Originally posted by cvb
aren't there cases where there has been pain e.g. the horse has strained ligaments/something in chest. Horse will react violently when this pain happens but it can go very quickly.

I'm sure Richard Maxwell had examples like this ??

I seem to remember it was an injury that doesn't tend to get picked up, cos of where it is - unless you know to check for it.

Please, do elaborate! Where can I find more info about this?

I am sorry about your colt!

But totally unrelated to that I was wondering if the lady is okay with you posting her full name on here. Maybe you should ask her or take off the last name.

;)
Hope you find something to help the horse!

Originally posted by KarinUS
I am sorry about your colt!

But totally unrelated to that I was wondering if the lady is okay with you posting her full name on here. Maybe you should ask her or take off the last name.

;)
Hope you find something to help the horse!

Good point, I didn't even think about that. All fixed! :D LOL Whew!

My sister had a horse called Eclipse. They bought him at 9 months old and hes was a lovely lad. Never any problems with him. When he was 3 he was already used to the saddle and bit, lounged great, had been walked out and exposed to just about everything you can imagine - spook free, was ready for backing. A perfect gentleman.

She sent him to a local stables for backing as she has a problem with her spine (stabilisation) and couldnt take any risks herself. While in the stables another horse had snapped at him (or so the stable owner said) and he reared and gave himself a nasty crack on the head.

After than he had a "split" personality. Fine one minute and perfect to ride and the next with no warning he would turn into a monster.. bucking, rearing, biting and lunging with his front feet.

Did your horse have any similar trauma?

Just wanted to give an update...

As we find it hard to beleive that Stephanie and Don are afraid of Cole, we have attempted to investigate further. My aunt has a way of making up stories and we know that she and her hubby are very angry with us for leaving them on their own, so we have attempted to contact Stephanie to no avail. :( The number that Sue gave us (that we are not supposed to have, supposedly) is not a working number, so I am to use my detective skills to find their number.

My theory is this...

Some of you know that my immediate family has been having serious troubles with my dad's sister & her hubby. They were way in debt and stuff, and my dad basically pulled them out, offered them and their horses a free place to stay, and Dad has paid for it all from the beignning (and done all the work). They have had 4 years to get onto their own two feet, and she's a psycho (seriously, she's on meds out the rear and has been hospitalized several times) who gets great pleasure out of everyone else's pain & makes herself out to be the victim of it all. She has milked us dry (we barely got our new farm) & my dad's (her's, too) parents have been milked dry.

With that said, my theory is this: she somehow cannot afford to pay off Cole's training. Instead, she has given Cole to Stephanie to sell for the balance due. She told us that whole loose screw story to cover up the fact that she cannot afford him back and to make us all feel bad because she's supposedly so upset that Cole isn't coming home. She is a pathological liar in all aspects of the definition, and I have already concluded that she is NO LONGER my aunt. In fact, after what she has done to me and my family (she has physically assaulted my mom and I, among other things), I never speak to her anymore even when she speaks to me. I have always been civil towards her and have allowed her to chew me out for no reason, and never realiated when she assaulted me, so I figure it's high-time for me to act. She no longer even exists to me.

Thanks for all your support guys, and I do apologize that it was all some story that a sick, sick woman told her brother just to make him feel bad for not supporting them.

Over and done.

I appreciate you may not want to pursue this conversation any further, but on reflection - you had originally asked us for advice because you were thinking you may need to consider selling him.

But if all this is a ploy from your Aunt because either she doesn't want you to take Cole, or because she's actually had to sign him over to Stephanie, then surely she would have been telling it in a way which meant this wasn't an option ?

I guess my concern is that even if you've made up your mind about your aunt, Cole is still out there somewhere. Did you manager to track down the trainer's contact details ? Normally most trainers WANT to be found as thats their business, so it shouldn't be too tough. Then at least you might get to hear the story from the "horse's mouth " !

good luck

newrider.com