Loose schooling tips

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
Ok I was looking for some ideas and tips how to get the best from both horse loose schooling......

I havent tried join up but have watched it done by others and read about it...any tips?

Also I have only really started getting there with my mare as before she just hooned around full pelt and got herself into such a worked up state but now she is listening. She does tend to go back to gate and look for our other horse but this is improving with practise.

Our big lad tends to want to play too much on hindlegs leaping at you and over you with his gangly legs making it dangerous when he is so big but this is improving too. He likes to roll though and would roll when just loose over and over again mucked from head to toe and then leaps around if fresh :help:

I free school both of mine. I think NH people call it 'at liberty' I love it and so do the boys.

I always unclip them and just let them smiff for a while and keeping my energhy level low I ask for walk I don't lift a schooling whip or lunge whip I just walk towards their bum of they plant or stand and only lift the whip and point at their bum if the refuse to walk on.

When walking I ask for trot but still not waving the whip as this excites them to much. I do take a step towards them. Sometimes if they are full of it they will tank a bit both like to have a rear and wave. But I never raise my voice and I drop my head and energy until the calm down.

I have been teaching Ginger to raise his feet when I point at them :redface: as he can't be ridden I am teaching him silly games in stead

I used to love loose schooling but our YO decided to remove one of the fences of the school which has exposed a steep grass bank where we store the jumps, which means that Moët will no doubt go up there and I wouldn't want to risk that...so now I can't do it :(

I do it in a very 'energy conscious' way, so like OBC really, If Moët is in a particularly playful mode I keep my energy low and rarely use my whip. Sometimes if she's not particularly interested to start with I do quite a few sudden direction changes, that usually perks her up and gets her interested.

Last edited:
It is something I'd like to try and finally I have got a suitable school but I'm not sure where to start tbh. I think I'd need to pick a quiet day when I'm off work and give it a shot.

One tip from me please wear a helmet.... other than that keep your energy down and everything nice and relaxed and gentle.

I do a lot of loose schooling. Scully self lunges - i.e. without a line, on voice command. We have also started doing a bit of horse agility - there is a vid of Scully & I working loose with a tarpaulin here - http://www.octarine-services.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=128 - clicker training forms an important part of helping her understand what I am asking her to do. Notice that her attitude changes significantly when I clip on the lead rope!

newrider.com