Looks like it might be bad news...

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
Kev went in for an MRI on Monday to investigate his lameness further. As expected they showed mild arthritic changes in the coffin joint and mild changes to the navicular bone. It also showed a tiny tear on the ddft on the right fore, just as it enters the navicular apparatus. The vet isn't sure if the tear is enough to cause his lameness, so he's going back in tomorrow to block the navicular bursa. Apparently if he comes sound this will confirm that it's the tendon.

I'm gutted. At the moment I have moved up to aberdeen without him and my dad is looking after him back down in edinburgh. He's going to need at least 3 months rest. If I managed to find a yard up here that could accommodate him (the yard I had lined up isn't set up to deal with this sort of injury) moving him to a new yard, combined with restricting him to a stable or a pen would make my little nutter an accident waiting to happen. If I leave him where he is I don't have a stable, but I do have an area of hard standing that could be used providing my field mates agreed, but that leaves my poor dad to look after my horse for at least 3 months!

Uuuuuuuuugh!!!! Can someone please tell me this isn't all happening? I've only had him a year! We were just getting into the swing of things!!

Oh I am so sorry to hear all that - can totally understand how upset and worried you must be. It is hard when they are injured if you are on a yard. Really hope it might not be as bad as you think - after more investigation.

Such a difficult situation for you with going off to live elsewhere. How does you Dad feel about helping out for 3 months? Is he horsey? If he is happy to help out it might be the best solution.

Its's horrible when they are sick and unwell, but all the more stressful in your situation, I do hope you can work something out that will suit you Kev. I really hope that he is soon sound and you can get to enjoy him without all the worry.

Dads are fab, hopefully yours won't mind stepping into the breach for three months. Be nice for Kev if he could stay where he was and much less stressful.

My Dad has been ever so helpful at times with horses, in spite of initially putting on full neck rug the wrong way round!! TB ever so slightly surprised and Dad worked it out in the end! But then rugs in South America on horses just weren't necessary, and that was his last experience with horses before mine!

I am so sorry to hear this, it is awful when your new lovely horse is sick. I hope things work out for you both - I am sure your dad will be a tower of strength.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. I have to say that I would be tempted to move him up with you and find somewhere with a stable. 3 months will be the initial boxrest but it may well turn out to be longer. Do you know what the long term prognosis will be?

Oh that is absolutely crap Laura :(

Having been there and done that it is tough and if you ever want to chat just PM me. It might be worth considering barefoot.

I don't know what to say. What a difficult situation for you kev and your dad. How does he feel about helping out?
At least there is hope with the prognosis? How are you coping in Aberdeen mrs? Must be tough being away from him but is the job ok? Please have a rant or a cry at us on here, we understand how tough this must be. But remember, you will get through this somehow.....if nothing else, you don't have a choice (sorry that's not great advice - just a fact!!)

Really very sorry to hear this, poor you and Kev. Wish I could do something to help but I'm afraid all I can offer is moral support.

Things never seem to go as planned where horses are concerned. Good luck with the vet, at least if they get to the bottom of the problem you'll know where you are. 3 months isn't so very long a time. x

Sorry to hear this. Hope hes better soon and isn't as bad as the vets think.

I think I would move him up with you - 3 months is a long time and I think you will best placed to care for him and also do the added extras a horse on rest needs.

I am really sorry you find yourself in this position

Really sorry to hear this, I am having stress over a simple an issue as grazing and it's worrying me constantly so I can only begin to imagine how hard this must be for you ((hugs)) I really hope the prognosis isn't as bad as you fear, I'm not sure what I would do in your shoes, as bringing him up to a new yard as well as being on box rest could be a massive stress for him but leaving him with your Dad could be more stressful for you, it's such a tough decision for you and I really do feel for you, whatever you decide we are all here for you if you need to get anything off your chest and we'll all try to give you as much moral support as we can. x

A wee update - he went into the vets this morning, but we couldn't find his original lameness (I suspect the steroid injections have reduced the inflammation, but this effect will wear off). He was mildly lame on both fronts but we think that was due to bruising from having no front shoes on.

So I've been told to get shoes back on ASAP and bring him back into work slowly, if he goes lame again then I've to take him back to the vet school.

Delighted I get to ride him again soon, but not great that I don't have a definitive answer yet. I suspect he will go lame again in the next few weeks, so watch this space!!

So just a case of wait and see?
Hopefully it will remain a mystery that does not need solving and he'll be okay. Will hope to hear more as you progress.

newrider.com