Looking at getting a horse - advice needed

RidingFree

May 24, 2019
Ok, so I'm looking at getting a horse now I have time on livery at a friends stable. We are just looking into it. I would like to arrange it should it happen with the horse being stabled during the night and turned out during the day. The stables will turn her out or stable her if I'm not there and my friend can't do it. Me and my friend will help each other out - if she's not there I'll exercise her pony or whatever and Visa versa. She can also he,p me when I first start. Please can you suggest ideas for stabling and turning out because I'm not sure. She will be ridden 4 to 5 times a week. Can you also help me with feed because will I need to feed her properly when I ride her or each time I ride her and how many times a day. We will seek professional advice on feed but I need some vague ideas because I have a couple but could do with some more experienced opinions. Will I need to put a hay net in her stable if she's grazing in the day? I know I sound like I'm not ready to get a horse but we are just looking at vague ideas. Also, if I buy her will I need to collect her or will they come to the stables normally? I need any advice you can give, thank you!

I would suggest that you go and help out at a riding school so you can learn to care for a horse. If you don't have any idea how to feed a horse, I don't think that you are ready to own one.

Reactions: Huggy and Russet
To be honest there's not enough detail to give you many answers.

One thing I will say is no matter how well you and your friend get on make sure you can afford the horse if you have to pay the yard to do everything. Things change, friendships get strained if one side feels they're doing too much, life throw curve balls. Also check the yard are happy for liveries to do each others horses, some aren't.

Any horse stabled overnight - or all day for that matter - will need hay. Other feed is impossible to say until you know what you're getting, how good a doer it is and if there are any health issues.

Right I've just had a look at your other threads on here and, at the risk of sounding like a bitch, it really doesn't sound like you're ready to own a horse yet. Get more lessons and make sure you're secure at all paces on a variety of horses. If you could get some experience on non riding school horses so much the better, likewise if you can help out somewhere for hands on stable management experience. Don't lose your dream, but make yourself better equipped to turn it into a good reality.

You really can't answer the questions you have asked until you know what horse you are getting, for example some need hard feed twice a day, others manage perfectly well on forage alone. Horses do always need access to forage, you would never stable for a long period of time without providing them with hay, haylage or a hay replacer, it would be detrimental to their health. When buying a horse sometimes the seller will agree to deliver it, sometimes it will be down to you to arrange the collection, the latter being more common.
I will echo @carthorse on not relying on friends to help out, occasionally is fine but if it's a regular thing then the relationship is put under stress and people often fall out, even the best of friends sadly.
From the questions you are asking here you don't sound equipped to take on a horse right now, in the knowledge department. See if you can volunteer to help out at a stable and learn more about day to day care and needs of different horses, before you get your own you need to really understand the horses basic needs, what goes into caring for them and also first aid/dealing with emergencies and combatting difficult behaviours (almost all new horses go through a phase of testing boundaries). Understanding the characters and different needs of different types of (non-riding school) horses should influence your decision about what type of horse to buy. For eg. (being wildly stereotypical here and I know not all are like this) a native can likely live out without rugs, eat very little hard feed, stay barefoot and be pretty chilled to deal with and ride vs a thoroughbred who would likely need stabling (and therefore hay and bedding), lots of rugs, lots of hard feed, shoes and be more difficult to handle and ride and are often injury prone, now the reason I say this is partly how much you can enjoy one vs the other but also cost, the native will probably cost half as much as the TB to keep each month! so this should be considered before you decide what horse you will buy.
Often a good first step between riding school and buying your own is to share (also known as part loan) a horse, whereby you are responsible for the horse on set days of the week, you get to care for it, ride it etc. but you have the back up of the owner making the more complex decisions and dealing with emergencies, which is a great learning opportunity. Often you pay a set amount towards the horses care for this, but it is less expensive than lessons as you don't get any professional instruction.

I agree with others.
It maybe vague but it doesnt sound like youre ready.
One of the biggest things in your thread is friendship,like carthorse said. Friendships can sometimes go sour with horses.
Feeding her. I have no idea what 'her' is. Good doer? Poor doer? 14.hh?16hh? Any medical issues? stressy? Hot headed? Lazy?
I didnt see jessey post fully. I had gone from loaning a pony who was anything but a RS pony to having the sole Responsibility of a horse and been phones up in the first month to be told 'Get yourself down here!! He's colicing! Luckily i already knew what to do but going from no worries other then my share money to needing a vet as a emergency is a massive thing.

Reactions: Huggy and Russet
I wouldn't want to rely on a native or so called hardy type costing less or being easier to keep, often it's just different expenses & problems. It feels like any horse has an unhealthy interest in spending every penny you have & then some, not to mention making you wonder what sleep is!

Yeah, I think o was just pretty excited and we've liked at loaning or sharing but i think your right, I am voulounteering now but maybe once I'm more experienced at some point in the future it could be a possibility! I'm a dreamer and my life has a lot of problems but to me a horse would fix them all!!! Thank you for your wonderful advice to talk me down to sense!! Who knows?? Maybe one day in the future it will happen??
Thanks for all the advice!!!

Yeah, I think o was just pretty excited and we've liked at loaning or sharing but i think your right, I am voulounteering now but maybe once I'm more experienced at some point in the future it could be a possibility! I'm a dreamer and my life has a lot of problems but to me a horse would fix them all!!! Thank you for your wonderful advice to talk me down to sense!! Who knows?? Maybe one day in the future it will happen??
Bless you, I am glad you are thinking it through. Horses are wonderful creatures, and they give us so much, but just glancing down the posts on this forum you can see that what they don't do is solve all our problems!

Bless you, I am glad you are thinking it through. Horses are wonderful creatures, and they give us so much, but just glancing down the posts on this forum you can see that what they don't do is solve all our problems!
Yeah definitely!! They always seem to understand and make it better unless they can't understand that the vet or farrier are there for their own good!!!

Last edited:
Stay positive, it will happen one day, just not quite yet :) but you can definitely make a plan of things to learn before you get your own and check things off as you go, to keep you focused on your end goal :)

I was 34 before I was able to buy my first horse. I understand that dreaming and wanting it more than anything, but in the meantime learn as much as you can so you are as ready as you can be when the time comes.

I don't think that article actually has any useful information about buying , even the better parts of it are only common sense.

newrider.com