Looking After 2 or more Horses

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I know several of us are in this position. We ride/care for more than one. How do people find the time and do you ever worry that you are spreading yourself too thin and so each horse is not getting quite enough of your attention?

I have 3 now, which I am loving as they all offer totally different challenges. And even though this triples the rubbish days I have, it also triples the days where it all goes well. Plus when something goes wrong with one of them, the other 2 are normally ok. When it all goes pear shaped with all of them at the same time, it can be very diffiuclt. But then you get magical days where all 3 are fab and I feel so lucky and happy.

Zak is my main ride and I am enjoying regaining jumping confidence on him as he is (usually!) so safe and sensible. Cally is my baby. She is really very special and I am loving getting to know her. Xav is the first pony I have 'rehabilitated' or whatever you would call it. He causes me anxiety as I feel I am lacking in experience in this, but at the same time he is improving all the time which is satisfying.

So how do others cope?

I have two but only one to ride. I'd like more!lol but then again they are pretty much my whole life as luckily OH and I work from home and both are as keen on horses as each other. The only thing delaying getting our third herd member is the impending move (if it ever happens:rolleyes::p).
I don't think I'd be spreading myself too thin with more than one to ride, but, they are my main hobby / lifestyle / passion. I don't have kids or a particularly demanding job.

I coped fine with my two spending time and making sure their needs were met, that was never a problem :) What I struggled with was keeping them both competition fit and schooling etc. I had a full time job doing shifts and relationship commitments and I would be burning the candle at both ends during summer to keep them both fit and ready to go out and do things.

I had Kia a long time before I got Eowyn, so we were bonded and I knew him inside out, so bringing her into the fold with her quirks and needs wasn't too much of an issue, the fact that she latched onto Kia helped during ride and lead and at turn out/bring in times as she would just follow him whilst I was pushing the wheelie full of feeds and hay and didn't have a spare hand free, ponying out she just would trot/canter alongside round the tracks so never pulled away etc so that helped loads.

When I was doing Kia, Stella and Dezi/Sandy that was harder and more time consuming, just adding one extra horses needs and care was just trenching things a little thin at times and I have to say they didn't get as much time spent grooming/pampering etc was just needs met and exercised then into work or home to sort the house or go to training etc. two for one person on full time etc is do able but just one extra can stretch you too thin is my experience :)

Liike Trewsers I have two but only one in ridden work. I would struggle to ride Mattie too as I only get the chance to take Ziggy out once or twice a week! I really should rehome Mattie, I just can't bear to.

I now have 1.5 and only 1 in proper work. I used to have 3, Bo was my main riding horse and 8/9 then, pheonix was my elderly rescue who was still very quirky but semi retired and jess was just a bubby and startibg her ridden career. Riding time wasnt really an issue, for years I rode 2 daily, it was getting the chores done when I had my own yard to maintain but it wasnt an issue when on livery.

I have 2 on retired livery and need a 3rd to ride. I would struggle if I had to ride more than one tbh even though I don't work and don't have any children !
When I am riding I spend about 3hrs per ride with him/her inc tacking up grooming and generally faffing around! By the time I'm finished and then go and say Hi to my two retiree's I feel sort of "horsed out". The whole thing can take me up to 5hours (travel inc) a day 4 times a week:oops: I don't know why?!!
My OH likes me to have a couple of non-horsey days and thats my week gone. How ridiculous:rolleyes: I don't know how you guys manage with full time jobs, children and one horse let alone 3 + lots of you are on diy or self-livery:eek:

I have 2 and not a lot of time for them, my working week averages 60hrs and can be more like 70 in a busy competition week, so it can be quite difficult finding time to ride mine on top of that. But they live out 24/7 in stable herds so it really doesn't matter to them if I have time to ride them or not. I would like to do more with them than I have time for, but I genuinely don't think it makes a difference to them. It's nice that I don't have to worry about whether they are working "enough" or not.

I have 4, but two are my daughters ponies the I have my 15.1hh who's my main ride and my dales who was broken earlier this year so is still a work in progress. I juggle them, have a lady who exercises my daughters fell once a week and Ive currently put word out that I'm looking for a rider to ride my dales 2-3 times a week, just because he needs more work than he's getting ATM. I have even toyed with the idea of parting with my dales but I was hoping my daughter may have him in a few years so that would be last resort. As for doing them imo summers easier than winter due to light nights, I try not to stress about how much they're ridden as IMO as long as the have water, food in there bellies, feet picked and a cuddle they are happy, obviously I'd love to ride more than 3-4 times a week but ATM I can't. However when Ive had a crappy day a bit of pony time makes the world a better place. x

I have the two boys, Chanter is semi retired so is only ridden 3-4 times a week, manly hacking or very gentle schooling no more than 20 mins, Ginger is in full work 6-7 days a week ridden for about an hour each night jump or flat, competing every weekend.

I work full time 0730 till at least 1700, The boys live out in summer but both get brought in every night to be groomed, even if I am not riding Chanter he has a full groom it is my time to bond with him and I love it. I am very careful with splitting my time between the two.

Riding Chanter makes me smile every time even when he is being a monster and I let him get away with anything but poor Ginger gets a hard ride bless him.

My two are giantgarden ornaments, and now I have accepted this it doesn't trouble me that I "should" be riding or they "are missing out".

I love spending time with them in the field and playing with them, but madam is unfit, and every time we start work something else crops up and we are back to no riding. I would like another straight forward pony, who I can just tack up and go but I suspect I would feel bad again! I work chaotic shifts and life just doesn't work very well with them and social riding which I much prefer, certainly doesn't fit with them!

I sort of have 4-5 currently! I officially own 2 (Moet in light work whilst recovering from injury and rosie is retired). I have full care of my sisters horse but I do have sharers for him - though both are unavailable this month due to holidays etc so I have him to exercise at the moment. I also have full care of Tara pony and use her occasionally for sophie to have a ride. And then I also have my friends 18h warmblood, though I don't have responsibilities for him at all, I do get offered him to ride a few days a week if I get chance!

Tbh I just try to focus on one horse a day and try not to stress if I can't exercise them all, they will be fine if not ridden/worked (they are not youngsters, not having to remain fit for competitions etc, or they are now my sole responsibility)

I have 3, but only 1.5 are in work. Gem is semi retired, needs a vet review soon now I have transport again. She's my world and she's going no where. Equally Bertha stays with us, but is retired, she's also more my mums than mine. D is the only one who's actually properly in work, and then it's 3-4 x week. When I was riding both of my girls I'd hack one, school/ride in field one on some days (weekends usually), then ride alternate in the week after work.

This was over winter in the dark, I'd lunge/long rein D after riding Gem.

I agree with @joosie that everything feels very much easier when the horses live out 24/7. Mine always have done, but they seem always so chilled and companionable in the field that even if I don't have time to ride I can enjoy being with them for that part of the day when I "do" them.

I love it that all the horses in the field like me and trust me. It really is a dream come true for me, who never had horses when I was young. I had to catch all 4 one after another to take them off the grass this morning, and although they all knew exactly what I was up to, one after another they watched me walk up to them and lifted their heads so I could put on the halter. They are such peaceable creatures, I love to be around them.

Loads of you with two that I didn't realise!

I have two. One retired and one in work. They are on DIY and I'm up to see them twice a day as B lives in at night all year round (due to being an old boy and having no teeth! He needs his home comforts and a good long spell to eat buckets and buckets of fast fibre in peace!) I don't find it takes me that much longer than it would have done when I just had B.

In winter I do day about for giving them a throrough groom (they get feet picked out and a quick brush down if its not their day for a full groom) when I'm on holidays (I work in a school) they get a thorough groom each every day.

I do sometimes feel guilty if I've not spent much time with one of them, if I'm going out or have other plans but try to make.it up the next day.

The thing I find hard is fitting in riding! Peds is so much better behaved if he's ridden every day but that's just not viable! I try to ride a minimum of five days a week with no more than one day off in a row. But it doesn't always work out like that!

newrider.com