Long riding boots for wide calfs help please

k8te

Jun 8, 2008
Ringwood, hampshire
Hello all,

Well with christmas fast approaching, i am wanting to get myself some long riding/yard boots from my dear hubby, but have such problems as i have wide calfs :redface:

So i was wondering if someone could recommend some to me please my calf measurement is at the widest 17.5 inches, and then i can leave little hints for hubby for what ones i would really like :giggle: Thankyou in advance x

I also want some long riding boots, but i want then for riding and kicking about the yard. The Rhinegold ones look too posh! lol

I know Fuller fillies do a wide riding boot, and it was highly recommended in Your Horse mag a while back when they tested them. I really liked the look of it too - it was a long black one (not sure if it came in brown too?)
Personally, I have always found the Mountain Horse High Riders come in good widths - I have quite ample calf measurements and they have always been ok for me.
However, I would also recommend Sherwood boots - they do a yard / pull on country style boot at a very reasonable price (and I ride in mine occasionally too) - I think mine were about £79 ish. They definitely do a wide fitting - the ordinary one is generous, so am sure the wide fit would be good for you. (They have their own webiste but can't remember the link!!!)

Fuller Fillies do a long black leather boot and also copuntry boots that fit up to a 20" calf - I did have some of the Country boots but they were faulty and had to go back - no more can be ordered until Jan 2011 :frown:

xx

Omg! I love them :cloud9: , I want them, i need them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The price is amazing too!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a pair, could do one leg up on my 17" 'calves of steel' lol, but despite
being like one of Cinderella's ugly sisters and attempting all sorts of things,
including making my Son's Girlfriend wear them for weeks in an attempt to
'stretch them' lol, could NOT do the other up for love nor money.

Gave them away in the end:bounce:

I have a pair of Harry Hall FARO, I think they are called, boots now, and they do up a treat, lol, but they are nowhere near as smart.

Last edited:
Just bumping for you!

I'm getting really frustrated for the same reason. I need at least 16.5 but the few manufacturers that cater for big legs seem to think that if you have extra wide calves you must be extra long too, so in the unlikely event of actually finding a pair that go round your calves, they need the tops rolling over like pirate boots.

Manufacturers please note - I'm a standard size 5 and my legs are average length - the height of your boots is fine but they need to be wider!

I'm saving up for a pair of made to measure leather gaiters from an eBay seller - £40 plus £5 to post. Don't panic if the listing's closed, they'll relist (or at least they usually do)!

i have a pair of Mountain Horse Rimfrost Rider Long Boots in a wide setting, i have just measured them and they measure approx 18" at the widest part...thats without the elastic being stretched at all.

I dont 'need' the wide setting but in the winter i get so cold i tend to wear 2 pairs of trousers and i kept breaking the zips on the standard width when i did that!

i def recommend them.

I have big calves and short legs so find boots really difficult. I just bought a pair of Dublin Pinnacle boots, with lace up sides, and found I even had to draw the laces in a bit! I love them, they are so comfortable and nice looking enough to wear into town (at present, though I guess that will soon change when it rains)

Just to say thankyou to every one, i am glad it just ain't me with the wide calfs :happy: lots to look at and hopefully try on before hinting to hubby, i have to say though i really like pinnacle ones very smart also x

newrider.com