Long reining

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Those of you who long rein, can you recommend some long reins please?
I’ve decided to throttle back Belles ridden work a bit but would like to keep her moving, she’s very good with long reining but I need better reins, all I’ve used in the past are lunge lines, but they aren’t ideal. Suggestions preferably with a link would be most welcome.

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
I have tagged you on Facebook on a post just so you can see the page as they aren't advertised as long lines just lines.It's the page Horse leads. I got 10ft and 14ft lines made for Torin and Rhan. Gave me enough that i had some play room but not masses of excess!I really like the weight of them they don't blow around but aren't heavy to handle and I had her put handles on the end rather than poppers. She uses marine rope like parelli lines and I just really like it for long reining but made to a length that suits the horse and me! I have black for right hand and blue for left! If you're interested drop the page a message and she can give prices :)

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I use my leather driving reins. I have two different lengths. I prefer the shorter ones for long reining. Theres a post somewhere on here that I did for someone else and I'm sure I measured the length of mine. I have used lunge lines but there really to long if your not use to holding the excess line in your hands. You end up dropping them and tripping over.
I agree with @Frances144 look on zilco website.
Robinson's used to sell driving harness which might be cheaper.

Just found my post. Dont know if this might be useful to you.

Measured.
Short reins 13 n a bit ft
Long reins 16ft
Lunge line 30 ft.

So for 16 hh I would say at least 16ft - 18ft.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I've mostly used a lunge line, I used to loop the handle through the bit on side and clip on to the other, going by @chunky monkey measurements that probably meant I had 15ft it was fine on 15hh Bo who would never kick but it was just a sniff short for my comfort with 15hh Jess who will, on Hank it was miles too long so I started using his driving reins on him.

Reactions: Kite_Rider

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I also hate lunging I just prefer to tack up and go for gentle walk. Long lining at least I get out of the school once he is use to it but I can’t pop on Eddie lol
I don't enjoy lunging at all, but I have found that long reining has given me the opportunity for a different kind of communication with my horse. It has taught me to be much lighter and more sensitive in my hands and I find that I am much braver long reining compared to riding. Therefore I can just enjoy being out rather than worrying about my riding nerves. I also like watching my horse move and it gives me a chance to check how he is doing on the ground. Apart from my vet, I don't trust anyone else to tell me if he looks sound or not so I have finally learnt to trust my own judgement.

Reactions: Kite_Rider

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I don't enjoy lunging at all, but I have found that long reining has given me the opportunity for a different kind of communication with my horse. It has taught me to be much lighter and more sensitive in my hands and I find that I am much braver long reining compared to riding. Therefore I can just enjoy being out rather than worrying about my riding nerves. I also like watching my horse move and it gives me a chance to check how he is doing on the ground. Apart from my vet, I don't trust anyone else to tell me if he looks sound or not so I have finally learnt to trust my own judgement.
I agree entirely @Mary Poppins . I'm looking forward to Charlie being trained to long rein so we can get out and about more!