Long reining to English short (er) reining? (Experienced Riders, please help)

Meovcorz

Mar 5, 2007
Queensland, Australia
How would you experienced riders train an eight year old horse to take more "contact", as you call it in the English style. I have bought a horse who has been taught long reining, and if you have contact, really at all, he pulls his head down till, the rein is loose. Yes, I could probably get him use to, its just that I almost feel like, I am being cruel to him having his head up that high. Because he naturally walks long and free, and also if at the walk or trot or maybe even canter if there is a light pull on the reins he will just drop down to the next gait. How would you handle this? Also, I've been taught (with the leg aids) the opposite of English, now also this horse has too, so would you teach it the English way or would you just like change it to suit what the horse is use to, like with asking for a flying change or a leg yield?

Maybe I should ask if there is anyone on here who knows, or rides, Aussie Style. I don't mean Western Style in an Australian Stock Saddle????? Maybe that will be a different thread?

I posted this in New Riders section, got no answers, decided maybe that this would be a better section to put it into. Would you all who have any idea, please help me.

worrie over

i gessing that u want him to bring his head up by the letter?

there is nothing crule about it.. lets face it if u wana do any showing or comps he needs to get his head out of the sand. it is most likly that the person before u had him just let him plod on hin any manner.. whixh to him is his favouriet.. u just have to help him change his ways...

u weill need at least 5 weeks
a snaffle bit
side reins
and to lunge him for 20 mins a day

dont be tempted to stick the side reins on to tight as this will make him resist them more than try. hes got to learn to use his hind quters.. so side reins so they just meet under his chin then attach then a pretty active trot should help

a possoer is very good and makes him work from all angles epesahlly him hind
but only get someone who knows what there doing with one to help at first

i hope this helps
remember that when it comes to horses and training it take a while but the smallest improvement need a reward like as hes going round if he takes a good contact say 'good boy' elabratly also at the end take the side reins off just to let him have a couple of laps to strech!
kat

Thankyou. In Trot and Canter he is fine, actually, his head is too high, If, I didn't use a martingale, he would through his head right back up into my face.
About Lungeing, I'll have to buy some side reins, lungeing rope (I can't remember it's proper name), and a lungeing whip. I use a snaffle bit in him, so thats no probs. at all.
What is a possoer? I have never heard of it.

newrider.com